Sewer Backwater / Check Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

wlam08

Reaction score
I have to replace about 40 feet of sewer line and my cleanout. I don't have overhead sewer lines, so I was also interested in installing a backflow preventer as well.

However, I've heard mixed reviews on the different solutions available and the "cadillac" powered system with a holding tank seems like it's an overkill.

Does anyone have any opinions on the type that should be installed and whether it's really worth it?

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the level of all the pipes and how long after the power is off to fill up the pipes. I do know a lot of people in the city near by have problems when it floods.

The last one I put in was for someone that wanted to call it over and had a 500 gallon tank put in with a grinder pump. The grinder would push out the water no mater how backed up the sewer was.

To just install one with out a tank is kind of useless. I did do one a few years ago where I put in a 500 gallon tank and ran the output about 2 feet up the pipe. When there was a backup they could use some water but had to use it sparse till it cleared up.

Have you had problems?
Details of the problems will help a lot…

wlam08

Reaction score
no - no problems, just hear a lot of horror stories. Most people don't have anything installed, but my city uses the same lines for storm and sewage.

The fact that I think my sewer line has been broken for some time leads may explain why I've never had any issues. However, I do have a finished basement with 2 little ones, so I'm just trying to be proactive.

The idea of having a manhole in my front yard isn't very appealing though...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks