Am Standard Cadet Tank/Bowl bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am putting the tank on the bowl of an American Standard Cadet. It is not the bolt/washer set-up that I am use to. It has rubber washers under the bolt head inside the tank, and that is it for washers. The 2 bolts go through a hole in the bowl and then a metal washer and nut pull the bowl down.
1. How do I know when the bowl is tight enough? I don't want to crack the porcelain, but I want to ensure the rubber washer is sealing the tank.

TIA,
Molo

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That comes with experience but most toilets will be tight when the tank just touches the ceramic set points on the bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tighten both bolts down hand tight, then using a wrench, tighten each a turn or so at a time. WHen you get close to getting the tank setting tight, try maybe a 1/2 turn at a time.

Molo

Reaction score
It seems like the system where there is a bolt directly underneath the tank, pulling the rubber gasket tight is better than relying on the one bold underneath the bowl and the stress it causes on the bowl porcelain as it trys to pull down enough on the rubber gasket.
I suppose you could put a bolt underneath the tank anyway, like most toilets I've seen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks