Tub-Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing a tub-shower drain with 1 1/2" ABS and it is working fine so far. Last step is to replace the P-Trap and give the whole drain some more slope for better drainage. (The current slope seem to be close to horizontal).

What is interesting is that the first part of the drain pipe itself (with overflow and drain) seems to be only 1 1/4". This if ofcourse only about a foot long, but I'm wondering if this makes the tub drain alot slower?

I was debating whether to use 1 1/2" or 2" pipe for the drain, but now when I see the 1 1/4" pipe I'm curious if that changes everything?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
It is probably 1 1/2" tubular pipe - thinner walled that regular piping...
OD if 1 1/2" pipe is just short of 2"... OD of 1 1/2" tubular piping is 1 1/2"
1 1/4" pipe is what is under your lav....

froddan

Reaction score
I hope you are right...

I hope you are right.
The pipe is metal and I measured the OD, which is about 1.5" and I fits into the P-trap that is ABS.

The flow in the tub is somewhat slow, and I'm trying to figure out why.
I thought it was due to the skinny pipe, or the poor slope on a horizontal run.

We'll see once I can get through the pipe.

Thanks!

froddan

Reaction score
Mark - you were right!

It was 1/2" pipe. Unfortunately it is leaking from the tub to the pipe...I guess I need to replace the drain pipe. The plumbers putty or whatever the sealant is seem to come off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks