Proper drainage of a bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
What's below this tub? crawl space or another room (i see insulation)?

you just need to remove the tub, Install a left hand drain tub and move the tub/shower valve to the other wall. run the water through the joists below and back up or up through the ceiling then back down.

what are you doing with the tub overflow? Those are PVC water fittings, not made for drainage and also need to be removed.

bholder

Reaction score
What's below this tub? crawl space or another room (i see insulation)?
The second floor ceiling is below so there are 10 inch joists with some insulation. It's enough room for me to put the p-trap in.

you just need to remove the tub, Install a left hand drain tub and move the tub/shower valve to the other wall. run the water through the joists below and back up or up through the ceiling then back down.
I just removed the tub to put a new right hand tub in. The left hand wall is slanted from the roof so it's not possible to put a shower in there. This is the 3rd floor so the walls on the left hand side slant. put in a right handd tub so that I could put in a showerhead. Before the remodel there was only water running for a bath on the left hand side, no shower.

what are you doing with the tub overflow? Those are PVC water fittings, not made for drainage and also need to be removed.
The tub overflow is fine. I bought one of the connection kits. It looks like the picture on the website you linked to.

Last edited:

bholder

Reaction score
Drainage problem solved!

Hey everyone who helped me solve my drainage problem last week, thanks! This weekend I cut out the job I did last weekend (remember, the homemade u-trap and a second p-trap combo I had at the end of my tub with no slope).

I redid the line to connect to the old brass pipe directly and I did get a 1 inch drop in the line to create a flow! It works great now. No puddling at all in the tub! I forgot to take pictures but trust me, it's a work of art!
-thanks guys,
Bob
St. Louis, MO

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks