Moen Shower Cartridge Removal Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

im5150too

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 1225 cartridge for my shower. Hard to explain, but before you put the cartridge all the way in, pull the plunger piece (not sure exactly what it's called) out a little bit. This should seat the cartridge in far enough so you can insert the horseshoe pin in correctly. It took me a while to figure this out, trial and error. I am a novice :)

Thanks wald, can you describe what the you mean by the plunger piece?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Lately I have noticed that the positemp cartridges are a little bit longer (maybe 1/16") . Not noticeable. You probably have the brass "horseshoe" retainer clip. You may want to get the new retainer clip which looks like "wire", for lack of a better term. Its bent into the shape required for your set up.

im5150too

Reaction score
Thanks folks, I'll try and see if I can get the cartridge in a bit more, if not I'll see about getting another clip somewhere.

moen-1222-pulled-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you check the bore of the valve to make sure all the rubber pieces of the old valve had come out?

Frequently these may not all come out and will present a problem getting the new cartridge all the way in.

moen-1222-julio.jpg

im5150too

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try checking that too, but the old cartridge was in pretty good shape...came out in one piece.

Chatemjr

Reaction score
Easy removal of cartridge

Im a non-pro so was tackling the cartridge removal with some novice trial and error...

- I did remove the clip...
- Broke the cartridge tabs after trying to turn it 45 degrees clockwise with the dinky plastic removal tool
- Unfortunately, the core post had already been broken off (was reason for repair), so no tap and die solutions possible with MOEN removal tool.
- So.... I drilled a small hole throught one of the broken plastic tabs till I hit the metal cylinder within
- Used a thin screw through same hole, when it hit the metal cylinder it actually pulled plastic cylinder portion out ~ 3/4"! Enough to get pliers on to complete the job.

Quite by accident but no special tools necessary! Picture below (note I had drilled 2 holes in case I needed another screw which I didn"t).

moen-screws.jpg

moen-screws2.jpg

moen-screws3.jpg

Moen Cartridge Removal.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The problem with PosiTemp valves is that the cartridge sits into "notches" and in order to "rotate it" it also has to come out a bit first.

moen-cartridge-puller-2.jpg

Keastman

Reaction score
Here's an extraction method for broken moen cores that I haven't seen posted yet although similar to others. Perhaps it will help a homeowner out. I tried to remove the shower valve today in a condo we bought as a rental. I used the metal valve extractor with the big nut that turns. It seemed like it would work, then the hole front of the plastic cartridge popped off with the stem, leaving just the plastic core. Closet hardware store was 10 miles so I bought a few things to try to get it out of there. They had no 5/8" taps, only 1/2 and smaller so I bought a set of internal pipe wrenches, a 5/8" bolt, and 4"x3/8" glavanized nipple with 3/8" end cap. The wrenches didn't work, the 5/8" bolt wasn't wide enough to engage the core (guess a 5/8" tap is wider). I ended up putting the cap on the iron pipe and screwing it in to the core until it bottomed out, then put a block of wood on each side of the valve and tiles. Next I levered it out with two small stanley wrecking bars. I suppose two straight claw hammers would have work just as well. The wood protected the tiles and provided a firm backing for the bars.

Fortunately, it seems like the replacement cartridges have been re-engineered with out the "O" ring on the deep end and the rubber seals are smaller. Perhaps that will make future cartridge pulling easier.

Louie619

Reaction score
The tool with the spring-loaded pin should be avoided---when it is locked in place, you are screwed !
The 1/2 inch tap with short dowel works beautifully !!
We always replace with the plastic Moen cartridge.

The screw in Moen tool will occasionally remove the cartridge, and if not will pull the innards out so you can use the tap !!

We learned some of these things the hard way--I was trying to fix a shower in a 20-unit apt complex, with all units' water off.
Some of the Moen valves have small shutoff valves right on the Moen body itself to isolate the body for removal of the cartridge. Sounds great but these are always corroded / rusted shut, and will not work--the replacement parts are ridiculously expensive, therefore we shut all the water down.

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
For once something went off without a hitch. My second shower has a Moen Chateau that was leaking badly. It appears to be original to the home, so it's getting close to 30 years old (1984). I bought both a 1200 and 1225 cartridge, expecting to have a stuck brass cartridge. I figured once I had it apart, I'd decide whether to replace it with another brass cartridge (1200) or a plastic cartridge (1225). I even had a #6 screw extractor at the ready.

One I got started, I felt even more confident I'd end up pulling the cartridge "guts" out of the sleeve, requiring the use to the #6 extractor. The retaining clip was stuck well enough that I needed to spray it with Lime A Way (the night prior) and pry it out with an awl. Also the "sleeve" that the escutcheon slides over took quite a bit of coercing (and Lime A Way) to remove. In other words, this had not been apart in a long time (if ever) and was well corroded.

I had a Danco Moen type cartridge removal tool. I made sure to twist the cartridge left to right several times before attempting to remove the cartridge. I was surprised to see that the cartridge appeared to be plastic. I was worried the "ears" would snap off while trying to twist it. But, the cartridge broke free and twisted without too much fuss. From there, I used the extractor tool and the cartridge came right out! I stared at the old and new cartridge for a few minutes trying to convince myself that I'd actually managed to extract the entire cartridge, leaving no sleeve behind.

Either this was one of the first Moen Chateau's to use a plastic cartridge or it had been replaced previously. I installed the new 1225 (plastic) cartridge and all is well!

Finally, a repair that was easier than anticipated. Thanks for all of the good tips. Be sure to rotate before you pull! :eek:

Tipsy

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Sometimes one puller will work where another won't, but for non-Posi-temp cartridges I think the ONA puller is best. It gives a couple approaches depending on the situation.

GreekGuy7

Reaction score
Moen Cartridge core: Easy-Out or 1/2" Tap Method??

When trying to replace an ancient Moen 1200 brass/chrome cartridge and the guts come out only leaving you the core behind.... you prefer using a #6 easy out, or the 1/2" tap method?

When using the 1/2" tap method, do you drop a dowel in the faucet body to push out the old moen core or just a stack of washers or socket placed against the head of the bolt?

I do know they make a core puller that locks into place, but that's always a last option.

Chopperbunch

Reaction score
Bought a Moen cartridge extractor. Tried turning to loosen, snapped off both tabs eventually. Ended up pulling only the core, leaving the brass shell behind. Oh F@#K! Apply liquid wrench, get on Google, find this thread! Seems the common solution was using a 1/2" tap. I tried the #6 bolt extractor which did the trick in seconds, literally. Photo at link below. Thanks, internet!

moen-removal-tool-4.jpg

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

Doc_U

Reaction score
Shower was dripping, getting worse.
Wife Acceptance Factor was rapidly declining.

Decided to replace the cartridge, after some research, including this forum.
Picked up the 1225 and some silicone grease at Home Depot. Didn't get other tools since I was stupid.
Pulled the core out of the (likely original since '73) 1200 brass cartridge when I tried to remove it (yes, the clip WAS out and I rotated it with the plastic tool, still wouldn't come out).

Used a 1/2" tap and a 1 5/8" section of 3/8" dowel and was able to get it out without major issues.
NOTE: The 1/2" tap sold by Harbor Freight in their $10 kit wouldn't bite. Used one from Irwin that worked fine (extra trip to Lowes).

Greased up the Moen plastic 1225 and popped it in after cleaning the bore a bit. All is good now.
Thanks for the tips, guys.

-Doc

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
if you use the "T" shaped tool, you had better get the core out, or break the "pin" because once it engages the outer shell, there is NO WAY to release it until the core comes out. So it should be the absolute LAST thing to try.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen-cartridge-puller-3.jpg

These cartridges can be difficult to pull. This one was pretty broken up by the time it was removed.

moen-cartridge-puller-2.jpg

This works way better than the little plastic tool that comes with the cartridge.

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

This pulls the old 1200, 1225 and the Posi-Temp 1222

Some other comments:

I use a long screw .. hammer and a 2x4 ... screw the screw into the remaining cartridges ... put 2x4 agains the wall/tile .. use hammer like you are removing a nail putting pressure on the 2x4 .. not the tile
Garrett Finster

Last edited:

EEProf

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just finished replacing a PosiTemp 1222 in the shower and it was a colossal PITA but ended in success. I thought I'd share some things and I have a question for the professionals.

First let me say that of all the information that I viewed prior to tackling the job, the discussions here were by far the most useful. Since I am an engineer I went into the job with a handicap (the professionals are chuckling because they know what I mean) and I was under some pressure from wifey to get the thing fixed, but I had to do it quickly as my son, his wife and my newborn grandson have been here quarantining and I didn't want the water shut off for long.

I bought the 1222 cart, some Danco faucet grease and a puller from Lowes for $62 with my veterans discount. I had taps, easy-outs, bolts and washers on hand just in case.

The cart turned 45º easily and then with the puller installed started coming out about a quarter inch. At that point I figured that "this is a piece of cake". Well, it wasn't cake after that. Basically it took two of us twisting, pulling and cursing to get the thing out. I am just glad it didn't break off in there. After it was free it left small pieces of rubber stuck inside the chamber and luckily my son's 27 YO eyes were able to help him get them out with a needlenose and some hooks.

The rest went easy except the clip (old, flat style) did not want to go back in and then I remembered someone saying that a nudge at the end of each prong can help it find its way.

So, my question for the professionals is how much would a plumber have charged to replace this cartridge? I imagine they would have an ONA (Lasco) puller, which would have made this easy, but I didn't want to invest in one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks