Residential Wiring & Crimp Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
I'm wiring an addition to my house.. I've been through this a few times in the past (actually rewired my current house a few years ago). I really like to use stranded wire since it is easier to pull (12 Ga THHN). I just find it annoying getting stranded wire around the screw connectors on outlets and switches.

Is is accepted by code (2005 NEC) to use mechanical crimp lugs in the place of wrapping the wire around the screw connector? I can not find a reference on GB's site stating that they specifically conform to the 2005 NEC...

Is this a crazy way to attach the wires?

Thanks,
Steve

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
seaneys said:
Is this a crazy way to attach the wires?

Thanks,
Steve
Yes

Just leave a little piece (about 1/4 inch) of the insulation at the very end of the stripped end and it will hold the strands together when installing them under a screw

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For receptacles, use the kind that are backwire. NOT back-stabbed. Use the kind where the end of the wire is pushed into an opening on the back, and when you tighten the screw it clamps the wire. Very secure .

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
As long as the crimp on connector is UL listed for attachment to that type of wire you should be fine. If you look in the section that covers THHN/THWN it should say that any listed terminations are acceptable. Don't forget that UL listing requires that you attach per manufacturer's instructions. I've seen this in commercial wire-ups where they didn't use the back-wire (not backstab) receptacles as Jimbo suggests (best option).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks