(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Help retrofitting handheld shower onto clawfoot tub spout

Hybrid View

Question Help retrofitting handheld shower onto clawfoot tub spout

We are about to rip apart our main bathroom (that has the only shower in the house) and therefore won't be able to use it during the reno.

Our backup bathroom has a clawfoot tub (no shower) and an angled ceiling, but we *really* want to be able to shower there while the main bathroom is ripped apart.

How would we retrofit some sort of handheld shower onto this clawfoot tub?

This is what the backup bathroom looks like:

and here is a close-up of the spout etc where we'd like to attach the handheld:

Ideas??

Thanks!
    .../j

Unscrew your tub spout and replace it with one that has the extra fitting for a hand-held shower.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks -- I had no idea such a thing existed.

Here I was thinking that I'd either need to find something to clamp over the spout's opening, or else have the hand shower threaded directly onto the copper stub coming out of the wall.

I'll have to take another look around to see whether I can find one of these.

Thanks again!
    .../j

Exclamation Floods floor at end of shower :-(

Okay, thanks to your help I bought a new spout with diverter and the extra hand-held fitting.

I also got a Delta hand-held shower unit, figuring that it would be well-built.

When the shower is running, there are no leaks.

The problem now is that, whenever I finish using the hand-shower and turn the taps off, the built-in vacuum breaker in the hand-held unit (a code requirement?) lets all the water drain back through its hose and out where the hose fitting screws onto the spout. It's as if this is a designed-in feature of the hose.

Here's what it looks like:

This hose connection point is *outside* of the bathtub and so therefore drains all over the floor and tries to go down where the drain pipe penetrates the floor.

Help! What would you suggest?? Or does this not make sense...

Thanks,
    .../j

It sounds like the air gap is doing its job. Since your valve setup isn't exactly normal for a claw foot, your best bet is probably going to be to put some kind of extender hose or piece without an air gap into the tub spout and then attach the hand held shower to it, so that the air gap is always inside or just over the tub.

I have never installed one of those tub spout adapter kits, so I totally admit that I am just guessing here, but the method I suggested seems like the most painless route.

Or, just return your hand-held shower and get one without an "air-gap."