Chlorine level

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I recently dosed my well and internal water system with chlorine. I don't smell any chlorine when I smell a handful of water but I do smell it when boiling or freezing the water.

Since I have had public utility water in the past where chlorine could be smelled by just running water, I assume the level I have is safe.

Anyone know for sure?

lmm600

Reaction score
There are limits to chlorine residual. To much can hurt while to little does no good. Usually if you just dumped chlorine in your well, you should let it sit for awhile. Then run water basically until you cannot smell it. Many municipalities meter chlorine to certain levels. Chlorine levels can be harmful. Just my 2 cents.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I hope you poured a bunch of fresh water down the well on top of all the chlorine you used. Otherwise you are letting the chlorine eat your pipe, wire etc.

bob...

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I did rinse the well. I am not after residual chlorine. It is taking rather a lot of water pumping to get rid of it completely. I don't smell it if I just smell water. Boiling or freezing generates a smell.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on there. I don't see what boiling or freezing would have to do with generating a chlorine odor.

CHH

Reaction score
speedbump said:
I don't know what's going on there. I don't see what boiling or freezing would have to do with generating a chlorine odor.

Both processes liberate gases from the fluid.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I understand that, but if he can't smell it in tap water, where is it coming from in the frozen or heated water?

CHH

Reaction score
The chlorine is dissolved in the water at a low enough level that there is essentially no outgasing at room temperature. When the temperature of the system is changed it either outgases the chlorine during the freezing or vaporizes water along with chlorine during boiling.

CHH

Reaction score
It is a fairly minor point to be sure.

If the original poster would half fill a tupperware container, seal the lid and then let it set on a counter overnight, I suspect they would smell the chlorine when the container was opened. It's all a matter of temperature, solubility and time.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I understand the mechanism. That is why I mentioned it in the original post. I noticed it first in the icecube maker and boiled water as a test to verify the supply still had some chlorine rather than just the pipes to the freezer. I am just asking if this indicates a safe drinking level. I believe it does; just checking.

Last edited:

CHH

Reaction score
alternety said:
I understand the mechanism. That is why I mentioned it in the original post. I am just asking if this indicates a safe drinking level. I believe it does; just checking.

I believe the EPA safe drinking level for chlorine is >1 ppm and supposedly some people can smell anything >0.5 ppm. If you and several other people can't smell it then it should be ok. How much do you trust you nose and why don't you just call your local department of health?

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have a pretty sensitive sniffer and a well. Thanks CHH. That is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks