GAS stubs everywhere!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Start building

Reaction score
Hi all
I really want to pull down a small section of non bearing wall in my house to open up the kitchen. On one side of the wall is capped off gas stub, it protrudes about 2" including cap.

There's one in every room of the house, i'm guessing for old heaters that have been replaced.

It's a 1955 home on a slab, I haven't opened up the wall yet but i'm pretty sure the pipe comes up through the slab and then elbows out through the wall.

How can I, if at all, cap off the pipe below or flush to the slab?

Also in regard to the other stubs about the house, were they capped outside the walls because it was quick and easy or do they stick out because of a code requirement?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have gas under the slab, which may have been done in 1955 but is not legal now, I would be concerned. I have repiped a few old buildings from that era that had underslab gas leaks, and also pipes blocked due to a belly in a smallish pipe, and too much condensation in the pipe. For that matter, the water may have gotten in through a rusted out area. Assuming it was OK to leave it, I don't see how you can cap it flush to the slap without jackhammering out a little concrete.

Start building

Reaction score
okay

WHOA!

OK

Fortunately the gas is off at the moment, it's scheduled to turn on Monday and they said they have to test the system pressure.

I'll open up the wall today, maybe the gas is coming from above!

I suppose then i could cap it off up in the crawl space?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'd advise you to have a pro do this.
I understand this is a "DIY" site, but do you know the difference between BM or galvy gas lines & water lines?
Also, as stated earlier...if there's any leak, however small, under your slab...it's a bomb in the waiting.

CHH

Reaction score
frenchie said:
Crawlspace? Didn't you say you were on a slab?

He said "up in the crawlspace." Maybe he only has a little headroom in the attic?:)

I'd say that he needs to find the gas line and either replace it as necessary if it's in/under the slab or remove most/all the unnecessary legs if it's in the attic.

I've got a soft copper gas line that runs from my mechanical room to a gas log fireplace in the garden level. It passes through a poured bulkhead and runs either under or in the slab of the garden level. After the home inspector pointed out deficiencies with the gas log during the purchase, I never allowed it to be used and disconnected/capped it when I replaced the boiler. Thanks to you folks I think I'll finish making that line unusable.

Start building

Reaction score
I opened up the wall, and the pipes drop down from the attic,which i mistakingly called a crawl space!
with only 12"-18" or so between top of ceiling joists and bottom of roof rafters at the highest point I'm not sure i could even crawl up there.

I certainly won't touch gas pipe myself, I'm just trying to get an idea of what my options are.
Sounds like I can have a plumber cap the gas line in the attic. Unfortunately the limited room up there is going to make that tricky.

Thanks for all the help !!! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks