Trouble with re-install pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

patnshan

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently replaced a pedestal sink with the same exact model, as my wife broke the sink. Everything worked fine with no leaks before the replacement. We decided to get a new faucet however. I reinstalled everything just as it was, including the location of the wall mounting bracket for the sink and the pedestal.
Unfortunately, when the sink is lined up correctly to the bracket and on the wall how it was, the end of the drain is only bout 1 1/2 inches from the wall discharge. The P-trap I have is about double that width. I can get it to connect, but it causes torque on the drain, causing a gap and leakage regardless of how tight it is. The drain is not pointing straight down as it should, it points toward the wall. I am quite frustrated with this.
Can I get a P trap arm that is closer together? I mean a sharper 180 degree bend? What else could I do to remedy this situation?
Thanks for any advice. I could also take a picture if you don't get what I mean from my description.
Thanks a lot for any assistance,
Pat

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What is not straight, level, or plumb to make the drain aim back towards the wall? Does the sink basin seem to be level from front to back? If it is low in the front causing the drain to aim back to the wall it needs to be corrected. Shimming the bottom back of the basin, lowering the mounting bracket and readjusting the position of the pedestal may be a couple things that could help. If the sink basin appears to be level, does the drain hole through the sink basin seem to be molded crooked causing the drain to aim back? I would return the sink if the hole is molded crooked. The crooked drain angle is going to force the trap arm to drain in an upward angle and not be properly graded unless you want to put your slip joints in that much of a bind. You could try to loosen the drain assembly and reposition it or reinstall it but I doubt that will do any good. moving the sink over an inch or two off center of the drain will give you a little more room, or they do make specialty traps / anti-siphon traps or "bottle" traps that may allow you to make the connection in that small of space. Those specialty traps I've seen are quite expensive.

patnshan

Reaction score
Thanks

Clayton said:
What is not straight, level, or plumb to make the drain aim back towards the wall? Does the sink basin seem to be level from front to back? If it is low in the front causing the drain to aim back to the wall it needs to be corrected. Shimming the bottom back of the basin, lowering the mounting bracket and readjusting the position of the pedestal may be a couple things that could help. If the sink basin appears to be level, does the drain hole through the sink basin seem to be molded crooked causing the drain to aim back? I would return the sink if the hole is molded crooked. The crooked drain angle is going to force the trap arm to drain in an upward angle and not be properly graded unless you want to put your slip joints in that much of a bind. You could try to loosen the drain assembly and reposition it or reinstall it but I doubt that will do any good. moving the sink over an inch or two off center of the drain will give you a little more room, or they do make specialty traps / anti-siphon traps or "bottle" traps that may allow you to make the connection in that small of space. Those specialty traps I've seen are quite expensive.

I thought something just wasn't right. I will try to "pound down" the back a little tomorrow. The shimmy idea might work as well. The hole for the drain seem fine as it's straight when it's not hooked up to the wall outlet.

Pat

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lav

The thing that does not seem right is your statement that it is an exact duplicate of the broken sink. If so then the drain has to line up properly unless your installation is faulty.

patnshan

Reaction score
Exactly

hj said:
The thing that does not seem right is your statement that it is an exact duplicate of the broken sink. If so then the drain has to line up properly unless your installation is faulty.

I also thought it should be extremely easy for a non-plumber such as myself for that reason. That is one of the reasons we went out of our way to find the same sink!
I think the initial install was faulty, in that the sink is mounted too high. Scary that a plumber hired by a builder did this crappy of a job! There was significant caulk betweek the sink and the pedestal, indicating a not so great fit initially.
I ended up seating the sink the way they had it, a little bit forward from ideal, bringing the front end up a bit that way. I went and got a p trap with a flexible accordian style end, allowing me to make the connection without torquing the drain. It doesn't leak, but still not ideal. I would like to just move the mount down to where it should be, but my wife wants me to stop messing with it now that it works and doesn't leak :rolleyes:
Thanks again,
Pat