Filter screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fearserv

Reaction score
Does anybody know a good brand of filter for the intake on a lake sourced irrigation system? The current filter, which is about 18 years old, is a plastic cylinder 33" by 4" with razor-thin slits and a 1 1/2" galvanized nipple for coupling to a check valve. The filter recently cracked and started to suck sand until I patched it. I would like to find a replacement just like it, but there is no label and we did not install the system. Thanks for any ideas.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
If the lake strainer needs to be a finer mesh, then there are similar intake strainers to be had from Vu-Flow or Rusco. No slots, but a nylon screen overlaying the 4-inch PVC pipe.

jmorrison6914

Reaction score
Good news

They sell that exact type of screen at Hm Depot for about $20. My pond is a slime pit and it works OK without clogging.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Problem with those screen over pipe screens is the surface area that the water actually gets to come through. That's why they plug up so fast, then your flow rate is greatly reduced.

dmarple

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sound like I need a screen regardless of any other exisitng problems.

The motor does seem to run hot to me. Its not so hot I can't place my hand on it but it does seem hot. (Of course were starting with 90 degrees here in Texas). It has a 2 HP motor and is "supposed" to be running on 240 V. I know I have 240 Volts out there but I have never pulled the cover off the box to see if the motor is actually wired to it. I didn't install it. Is it possible a 2 HP rated motor would even start and run normally ( for a while) for a while on 120 ?

Speedbump

Reaction score
A motor will get so hot that in 90 degree weather you won't want to hold your hand on it. This is normal. If you had a 2hp motor (a real 2 hp motor) wired for 115 volts and hit it with 230 volts, you would have long ago let the smoke out of it. If it were the other way around, it wouldn't have kept running for more than a few seconds then it would start running up and down trying to restart because of the lack of voltage.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks