Replacing Kitchen Sink cabinets

Users who are viewing this thread

sethramesh

Reaction score
How difficult is this job? I need to replace my sink cabinet in kitchen.

Do you I have to remove the plumbing - copper pipe etc that comes from the basement completely before putting a new cabinet? Any ideas, instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cabinet work requires some experience which, judging by your question, you do not have. The difficulty depends on several factors, but revamping the plumbing does not rank very high on the list. I'm sure you want a good looking cabinet, so it would be my suggestion that you have a professional cabinet person do the job.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
sethramesh said:
Do you I have to remove the plumbing - copper pipe etc that comes from the basement completely before putting a new cabinet? Any ideas, instructions on how to do this?
Depends on where the plumbing is - take a pic and post it...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As said, if the plumbing comes up through the floor of the cabinet, it's one thing, if it all comes out from the back wall, it's another. Some kitchen cabinets have a back wall, some don't. If yours does not have a back wall and the pipes come out of the wall, then it's fairly easy. Are there other cabinets next to it? Is there an existing counter you have to deal with?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jadnashua said:
Are there other cabinets next to it? Is there an existing counter you have to deal with?

Those are actually the major questions here. Some cabinets are modular, meaning sitting side-by-side and connected at the styles where the hinges are attached, but other cabinets are more like "built-in", having a continuous front face from one end to the other. Then, either type is usually sitting under a full-length countertop.

Knowing more about what might be wrong with you present cabinet would make it easier to suggest a specific approach.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to remove the copper pipe coming from the floor of the cabinet.
After you have installed the new cabinet, you can drill down for the new pipes.

sethramesh

Reaction score
Even though I have a basement, the pipe is not accessible from down. It is sandwiched between the concrete wall and a 2X10 beam. I guess I need to cut the pipe above, and align the cabinet hole to the pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you replaceing all the cabinets? In which case this is straightforward. You seem to imply replacing only the sink base. It must be lifted up over the pipes, so of course the counter top has to go.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
When you are replacing the copper piping you cut out to remove the cabinet, get rid of the saddle tap on the cold line - put a proper tee in or a double outlet angle stop...
The 1/4" line will have to be remove for the cabinet removal as well...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would delay doing any serious cutting of the pipes until the cabinets are removed. Since you're replacing everything, it's a much simpler job -- just cut the cabinets away from the pipes. Once everything is cleaned up, you can start on the real problem, that of installing the new cabinets. I would cut the pipes well above the floor level of the cabinet, then just cut holes in the floor of the new cabinet and lower it down over the pipes, as you suggested earlier. Finally, add proper fittings to the stubs and you're done. There are several options for neatening-up the holes in the cabinet floor.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just did a job exactly like this. I carefully using the tip of the sawzall cut around the pipes and broke up the cabinet and removed it from the kitchen. Then I carfully cut the boards that were still hanging around the pipes.

The difficult part will be putting in the new cabinet. You likely to have to open some pretty precise holes.

I was going to suggest a bump out sink but it doesn't appear to be an option for you because your kitchen turns immediately after the sink.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks