If you are cleaning an electric baseboard heater with a bucket of water you deserve a shock anyway.
Seriously, water merely spilling on a baseboard heater will NOT cause a shock. The element is sealed and wiring is in a wiring compartment. Even if the wiring does get wet it will not energize the whole unit.
If the scenario you describe did happen, the manufacturer of the unit would be at fault, not the installer.
At the same time, this scenario could happen to literally dozens of other electrical items.
Just because the heater is 240v does not make it that much more dangerous. People think the get shocked with 240v, when in reality they are hit with 120v. It is HIGHLY unlikely that someone would touch BOTH hot wires, at the same time, while remaining ungrounded.
No big argument there, yet there must be some reason for double-pole controls being preferable ...Originally Posted by Speedy Petey