Tough Joist - resists new screws for new subfloor

Users who are viewing this thread

DrummerDad

Drummerific Drumming Drummer
Reaction score
I am replacing a section of subfloor in my kitchen. I am laying new 5/8 plywood over the diagonal boards, and using 3" stainless steel deck screws that I had left over from building my deck to fasten the subfloor. I am pre-drilling 1/8" pilot holes to make driving the screws in a bit easier.

I am having problems with one joist. Even with pilot holes drilled the full depth of the screw, the screws keep snapping before being fully seated. Drilling the pilot holes into this joist is also a chore, as it is more like drilling into concrete than drilling into wood. The drill bit comes out smoking, and the pilot hole is also smoking. I have never seen this happen before.

I suspect that the joist either has more knots than the other joists, or it has higher density perhaps due to more pitch in the wood than in the other joists. I have tried several spots along the length of this joist, and it seems to be the same everywhere.

Has anyone run into this? What is the solution for dealing with this problem?

Thanks,

jrseaberg

Reaction score
some tough wood...

You might try:

make sure bit is sharp
make sure bit is clean
use a larger pilot hole
use lubricant on screw (I have used bars soap)

Jim

Good luck!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
People think of softwoods as , well, soft! Well, if you happen upon an old growth one, it can be very very hard. Make the pilot hole bigger and, as said, soap or beeswax helps. SS screws aren't particularly strong, but they don't rust. they're stronger than brass, but not as good as some other types of steel.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A block of pure beeswax in the toolbag is the handiest thing you can have.

Also, if your screws are imported, just remember that they may be made of stainless steel, but it is CHINESE stainless steel. very poor quality and prone to snap.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I don't know where you bought your screws, but I've found that most of the threaded hardware at the big box stores is junk. Also, deck screws of a given size don't seem to have the same diameter above the threads as construction-grade screws. I buy galvanized screws at my local lumberyard and these have the pilot features on the screw tip to help penetration and some features on the bottom of the screw head to help seat the screw.

All I can say is that these screws drive 4X easier than anything I've ever bought at HD or Lowes.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks