running quick disconnect to central AC

Users who are viewing this thread

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
I am installing an out door AC unit and need to run 220v 15 AMP power to it.
My question is can i just use UF 12-3 wires directly from main panel through the wall into the quick disconnect than UF 12-3 into the AC. The run is about 6ft in length.

Do I need to put the UF wire inside a conduit both before and after the disconnect?

If I need to put the UF 12-3 inside of a conduit will a 1/2" metal conduit be big enough?

thanks

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
For 15 amps #14 will be large enough.

Yes the conductors will need protection from the disconnect to the AC unit but flex would be better than metal

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A condenser unit only needs 12/2 (no neutral) with ground. Don't have any ideas about code, but all of those I've seen are wired with a waterproof conduit from the shutoff to the unit.

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
see the problem is i walked around and looked at other houses.
Some of them are doing what I plan to which is using UF to the disconnect and UF to the AC.

But some of them are using conduit from the house to the disconnect than UF after the disconnect to the AC.

I guess i will have to call the building department up and ask them.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
hids2000 said:
what is "FLEX"? is that the same as BX or MC wires?

Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit (LFNC). A raceway of circular cross section of various types as follows:
(1) A smooth seamless inner core and cover bonded together and having one or more reinforcement layers between the core and covers, designated as Type LFNC-A
(2) A smooth inner surface with integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as Type LFNC-B
(3) A corrugated internal and external surface without integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as LFNC-C
LFNC is flame resistant and with fittings and is approved for the installation of electrical conductors.

carlonp00001_4_tn_002.jpg

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
jwelectric said:
Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit (LFNC). A raceway of circular cross section of various types as follows:
(1) A smooth seamless inner core and cover bonded together and having one or more reinforcement layers between the core and covers, designated as Type LFNC-A
(2) A smooth inner surface with integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as Type LFNC-B
(3) A corrugated internal and external surface without integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as LFNC-C
LFNC is flame resistant and with fittings and is approved for the installation of electrical conductors.

carlonp00001_4_tn_002.jpg

Thanks! I hope home depot or lowes got them for sale. the min order qty online is little too much

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Both of them sell a flex kit, which includes the wire, flex, and both connectors.
It contains 3#10 thhn/thwn wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks