Bath Fan to Weak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Photo 2 shows the damper that comes with the vent kit (it's hanging down). My fan only lifts it 1.5", and not the full 3.5" it would go to fully open the front of the vent. Is the plastic too heavy or the vent to weak? It is a 50cfm fan for a 35sq' bath. The duct length is very short (3' max with no turns other than where it comes out of the side of the unit and does a slow bend to vertical to hit the roof) Should I try a 70cfm, do something to the damper, or is this amount of opening acceptable?

TIA,
Molo

Attachments

• cap100_0645.jpg
    cap100_0645.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 209
  • cap1 100_0647.jpg
    cap1 100_0647.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 202
  • cap3 100_0646.jpg
    cap3 100_0646.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
50cmf is a fairly weak fan. You want a fair number of air turnovers in a room to extract the moisture. Calculate your room size and see how many per hour you're likely to get and come back with what you have. Note, the air must come from somewhere, so depending on the gap around the door, leaks, or a window, that can affect its operation, too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your bathroom is 240 cu.ft. A 50 CFM fan is 3000 cubic feet per hour, or 10 air changes per hour, which is plenty. It is a weak fan, and depending on the length of the duct work, apparently it does not have enough duct pressure to open the slots all the way, but even partly open should be OK. If the duct length is too long, that will affect your total air flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks