(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which way do I turn the pressure switch?

Previous member

I'm not sure what you mean by "full pressure". We need to get on the same page.

Do this: Turn off the pump. Open a faucet until the water stops running. Go out to your car and make sure your tire gauge works. Come back in, check the pressure in the tank while the pump is still off and no water will come out of the faucet. Write that pressure down. Turn the pump back on, wait until it shuts off at the high pressure. Check the tank with the tire gauge again (hopefully it goes high enough) and write that number down. Now open the faucet again and wait for the pump to come back on. When it does, turn it off electrically immediately and check the tanks pressure one last time. Write it down. Report back with those three numbers in the order which you gathered them (except the car tire pressure) and we can go from there.

bob...

I've been doing like you said in the previous post--letting the pressure in the tank down. IT WORKS! The pump is not cutting in so often. Here are the numbers: pump off, points click together at 32lbs; pump on, high pressure at 48lbs. I hope you can work w/ these numbers, as the pump house is about 30 yards from the breaker box, so I can't immediately throw the breaker. I'm thinking I should let the pressure out a little more to 28lbs like you stated earlier? Thanks so much for your help!

Previous member

You still haven't told me how much pressure is in the tank when the pump is off and the water has quit running from the faucet. That is when you check and make adjustments on the tanks pressure. It should be 30 lbs with your present pressure switch settings.

bob...

there is 30-32lbs of pressure in the tank while the pump is off and all the water is out of the tank. I feel I was making it a lot harder than it was; I fretted over if for 2 days. What I should've done at once was let some of the pressure out of the tank, just like you said. That was my problem the whole time! There was only a differential of 2-4lbs, so as soon as a toilet was flushed the pump would kick on. So, I let the pressure out to 28lbs and the high pressure, when the tank is full is 48 lbs. I'm sure the settings could be more fine-tuned. Thanks so much for helping me out w/ this. If you ever need a detailed description of how to change a diaper, scrub a toilet or load the dishwasher, let me know!

Previous member

Thanks CrystalRose, I'll keep that in mind next time the Grandkid shows up. I may want you to come over and show me (several times)

Glad you got it working.

bob...