(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Which way do I turn the pressure switch?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Which way do I turn the pressure switch?

I've read thread after thread and done TONS of other research about what's going on w/ my system. This is what's happening: after about 1.5 minutes of running water the pump kicks on, runs for approx. 10 seconds, cuts off, the water will run for approx. 1.5 mins, the pump kicks back on, etc. Even flushing a toilet will make the pump kick on. I think it's running too often. This has been happening at least the past 2 months, maybe 3. The pump is NOT short-cycling, there are no leaks in the system. I can use a tire gage to check the pressure in the pressure tank--48lbs. (I've turned the pump off and ran all the water out of the system and it still reads 48lbs.) There are no gages on my system to determine what the "cut-in" and "cut-out" pressures are, so I'm running blind here. Really, I'm thinking the switch needs to be adjusted, but I don't have a clue which way to turn it to keep my pump from kicking on so often. I feel like I have too much pressure in my system. The well used to supply my in-laws who live UP HILL so, I'm guessing they put this much pressure in the tank so they'd have....pressure, but it seems since they've drilled a new well, this problem w/ the pump cutting on and off so often, is occuring more often and I have more pressure than seems necessary. So, what I really want to know is which way to turn the pressure switch, clockwise or counter-clockwise, to keep the pump from kicking on so often. And any other advice will be greatly appreciated. This is THE BEST forum I've come across!

The air pressure in the pressure tank (when empty of all water) should be 2 lbs below your pumps "cut-in " pressure.
    example; cut-in 40, tank pressure=38

so just check what your pump cuts in at and adjust the air pressure in the tank accordingly.

Rancher

You really need a pressure gauge to do this correctly.

Pressure switches with adjustable differential (Types FSG, FYG and FRG)
    When setting the pressure switch, adjust the switching point on rising pressure first and then the switching point on falling pressure (PB).
    Switching point on falling pressure
    The switching point on falling pressure is set by adjusting screw-nut 1.
    Switching point on rising pressure
    The switching point on rising pressure (PB) is set by adjusting screw-nut 2.

Nut 1 is the center nut and nut 2 is the shorter off center nut.

Rancher

So, I can just buy some type of gauge at the hardware and scew this onto the pressure tank valve? And the rising pressure will make the pump kick off and the falling pressure will make the pump kick on? I'm a woman; I do not think mechanically, so am I gonna screw this up? LOL!

Pressure guages that have Garden Hose threads are readily available at most hardware stores. I am assuming of course that you have a drain in the area with a male hose thread. If you don't wish to plumb a pressure guage in permanantly, you could use one of these.

Like Mentioned above. Bladder tank air pressure should be 2 lbs below the pressure at which your Pump kicks on.

Previous member

Can you tell us the brand name and model # of the tank?

bob...

It's a PermaTank PAD20. And just to let everyone know, the pressure gauge I just bought at the hardware--one of those you can screw onto the spigot, like Mr.Pike recommended--is a POS, so there's no way I can do it that way unless I can find a better quality gauge! It helped to put teflon tape around the spigot, but the gauge has a "swivel connection," and water just spews from this "great feature!" I don't see how I can get an accurate reading this way.
    Last edited by CrystalRose; 07-17-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Previous member

That Perma tank is made by State. My experience with State tanks is not good. I would recommend checking it by shutting off the pump letting all the pressure out of the system and using a tire gauge to check air pressure in the tank. Then give it a little nudge to one side to see how heavy it feels.

bob...