Sharkbite/pex problem

Users who are viewing this thread

dsmarian1

Reaction score
A new member and DIY'er here. I am having to replace several galvanized pipes in my old house. I have created a preliminary system that I have not yet attached to my main system. I am using Zurn PEX and Sharkbite fittings. I am running it parallel to the existing pipes and using zip ties tor temproary support. I have tested this system attaching it to my garden hose, to check for leaks. Despite the positive feedback I have seen in this forum for Sharkbite my system had numerous leaks. I replaced the sharkbite tee or elbows depending on what leaked and the inner white sleeve ( or whatever it is called) often came out with the pipe when detached.
Most of the pex I am using is 3/4" with the occasional 1/2" line off for use to attach to a fixture.
What am I doing wrong? I do not want to use this combination in my house when the time comes to really replace the pipes if it does not work.
Maybe this is what comes from my work in building haunted attractions, my own home wants to look like the Munsters place with dust and leaks:D

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
i would try unhooking each sharkbite with the orange tool and pressing the pipe in again.

the pipe has to be cut even so it seals properly. the only times i have had a problem with pex is if i try to bend it too much at the sharkbite.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you use their bevel tool to take the sharp edges off of the pipe ends? You may have sliced the o-ring. Is it rated to connect to galvanized? I would think the somewhat uneven outer surface might prevent a good seal.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Galvanized is not CTS and will not work with sharkbites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks