(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sharkbite/pex problem

Default Sharkbite/pex problem

A new member and DIY'er here. I am having to replace several galvanized pipes in my old house. I have created a preliminary system that I have not yet attached to my main system. I am using Zurn PEX and Sharkbite fittings. I am running it parallel to the existing pipes and using zip ties tor temproary support. I have tested this system attaching it to my garden hose, to check for leaks. Despite the positive feedback I have seen in this forum for Sharkbite my system had numerous leaks. I replaced the sharkbite tee or elbows depending on what leaked and the inner white sleeve ( or whatever it is called) often came out with the pipe when detached.
    Most of the pex I am using is 3/4" with the occasional 1/2" line off for use to attach to a fixture.
    What am I doing wrong? I do not want to use this combination in my house when the time comes to really replace the pipes if it does not work.
    Maybe this is what comes from my work in building haunted attractions, my own home wants to look like the Munsters place with dust and leaks

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Probably the Zurn pipe

Its probably the Zurn pipe....

If it came in a roll it probably has an oval
    shape to it...

i have not heard good stuff about the Zurn pex.

Its either that or you are not slamming the shark bite all the way into the fitting

i would try unhooking each sharkbite with the orange tool and pressing the pipe in again.

the pipe has to be cut even so it seals properly. the only times i have had a problem with pex is if i try to bend it too much at the sharkbite.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Did you use their bevel tool to take the sharp edges off of the pipe ends? You may have sliced the o-ring. Is it rated to connect to galvanized? I would think the somewhat uneven outer surface might prevent a good seal.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Galvanized is not CTS and will not work with sharkbites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    Galvanized is not CTS and will not work with sharkbites.
    You wouldn't even get the Sharkbite on (if so..I don't wanna think of how)...the diameter is larger.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."