Trying to locate toilet with floor-to-rim height 20-21"

Users who are viewing this thread

Spbphil

Reaction score
My 6'2" elderly father is in a retirement care center and is unhappy with the height of the toilet in his room. He has hip problems which limit his mobility.

What I'm looking for: A toilet with a RIM that is 20"-21" high, on which a regular toilet seat would fit, so the resulting toilet would be 22-23".

Is there such a thing? I see ADA-compliant toilets from major manufacturers but the max height is 17" floor to rim.

If higher toilets are not available, do you have recommendations about, for example, using something to raise the height of a regular-or-ADA toilet a few inches?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was a wall-hung toilet, you could put it whereever you wanted, but the home may not like it, since the next occupant may be 5' rather than 6'2". I saw a box once that someone made to raise a toilet. Don't remember the brand and have no experience with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either a box below, or at least raising the floor.
They make slabs that will fit under the bowl.
Sometimes they are made from marble.

highline-tall-pic.jpg

Kohler Highline Tall with a 19" high bowl
K-25224

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
upflush toilet mechanisms made for basements below the sewer level put the toilet on a box about 3.5" - 4" high; that then makes a step that a person can EITHER step up onto or NOT.

I find that perfect for families with big and small people. Too bad nobody makes that for regular bathrooms. :(

Now, we have to spend a lot of time figuring it out and explaining it to whoever is going to pay for it and / or have to build it. :eek:

The idea is that a half step goes under the base of the toilet, and large long legged people don't ever need to put their feet onto it. They can walk up to it and the regular floor is close enough to the toilet that they simply squat while their feet are still on the base floor.

Anyone else can either squat from that main floor too, but then opt to put a foot up onto the higher floor level available. It's really quite a natural progression. Takes no getting used to.

If you fit into children's size pants, you will step up onto the platform first.

A half step is half the height of a full step you see every day in regular stairs. A half step is dangerous, a trip hazard, anywhere except under or behind a toilet, because in that location there nobody is going to keep advancing, as they have arrrived at their destination. :p ;)

You can simulate this a little bit using something like a big old phone book to put one foot onto while you squat. You can't build a simulation of the entire platform unless you find an unused toilet somewhere and place it on something steady like a pallet.

It has been reported to me that some small or medium sized people put both feet on the platform when they are sitting on the toilet, and that they feel comfortable with the approach, the stay and the descent. It's not been reported that they felt uncomfortable or too high. Some people wondered in advance if they would like it or not, and claimed that they would fell like they were perched like a bird on the edge of a wall. Later they apologized for all the fuss they caused for no reason.

So, the hard part about building this is the psychological aspect of convincing the people that they will like it. If it were sold everywhere all the time, people would consider it normal and standard.

David

Last edited:

jrseaberg

Reaction score
idea...

Several years ago I needed to raise a toilet. I already had a "high rise" toilet (17"). I made a pattern of the outline of the base, and cut two pieces of 3/4" treated plywood to match that outline. Glued/screwed those together (added 1.5"), cut a hole for the waste pipe, and routed out a space for the existing toilet flange, so the plywood sat flush with the floor. I then screwed the "platform" to the floor, and mounted a new flange on top. Installed the toilet with a wax ring with long extension (it reached down into the waste pipe), sealed around the base (plywood to floor, and toilet to plywood). When I pulled the toilet 6 years later, there was no sign of any leakage or other problems.

Sure don't know if it met code (I was TOTALLY naive about code issues back then, but have been learning here!), but it seemed to work for me.

I also know they make a "toilet riser" that is basically a piece of plastic that elevates the top of the bowl/rim by 5-6". It slips down into the bowl a little, and rests ontop of the rim. The one by Grandma had seemed to be a little wobbly. (Medical supply stores carry them.)

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks