flooded sink and water stain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

hckim

Reaction score
Help! I turned the bathroom sink faucet on to soak a shirt. I totally forgot about it and ended up flooding the sink. The water leaked onto the floor and left a huge water stain on the ceiling beneath the bathroom. What should we be concerned about, and what damage could have been done under the bathroom floor and inside the ceiling beneath it? Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to poke a small hole in the middle of that stain to allow any accumulated water out if it is still pooling there. If the drywall doesn't buckle, you can probably put a stain blocking primer on it and repaint. If you do poke a hole, you want to have a bucket to catch anything that comes out.

It would be better to open up a bigger hole to let it air out and dry. I'd make the hole big enough to put a fan directed there. Dark, damp things can grow some nasty stuff. As long as it can dry out fairly soon, you probably haven't done any structural damage other than on the drywall, and that can take some wetting, but not much.

I take it that the sink doesn't have an overflow? Might be something to consider in the next remodel! If it does have an overflow, clean it out so it doesn't happen again.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's just a water stain, I'd buy a can of kilz upshot and spray the stain--if everything is dry. Then paint it to match.

If the drywall is sagging from water, definitely put a hole in it and let it drain per JAD's advice. Then fix the drywall and use the kilz upshot, etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks