Copper Supply Pipes - how close to outside wall

Users who are viewing this thread

DrummerDad

Drummerific Drumming Drummer
Reaction score
I am currently replacing the supply pipes in my kitchen and laundry room. The old galvanized supply piping came up from the basement right in the middle of the kitchen sink base cabinet. I would like to put a mounting board against the back wall, inside of the cabinet, then use some bell cup mounting brackets to attach the copper pipes to. I want the pipes to be securely installed, plus I want to move them back to make the base cabinet more usable.

The laundry room is in the unfinished basement directly below the kitchen, and both are against outside walls. I live in SE Wisconsin, where we see a few below-zero days in the winter. I mention that because I want to know how close to the outside wall I can put the new pipes.

I am a cheap homeowner, always willing to read about, and try any DIY project --both to save money and because I love the challenge of DIY projects. Thanks in advance...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a really cold night, you might not want those pipes in the outside wall. WIth the cabinet doors closed and thus no air movement under there, it can get quite cold in the cabinet.

DrummerDad

Reaction score
Actually, I am not putting the pipes in the wall -- I just want to move the pipes closer to the wall. Right now they come up in the middle of the cabinet, and I wanted to put them about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the back wall. This would also allow me to add a mounting board to attach the pipes to. Thanks for your help!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
That report makes me happy for both of us, for now I will not have to merely guess next time!

Completely depends on where ya live...here we get frozen pipes anywhere inside a sealed exterior wall.
Inspectors call us on anything thats not spaced away from the wall a few inches on new construction.
Could be different just a few states south...I dunno.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
not defined yet regardless of the few questions answered so far.

DrummerDad said:
Actually, I am not putting the pipes in the wall -- I just want to move the pipes closer to the wall. Right now they come up in the middle of the cabinet, and I wanted to put them about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the back wall.
How well that outside wall is insulated is not defined yet. It could be an outside wall totally exposed to winter winds and totally UNinsulated, or it could be an outside wall that has a lot of warm loamy earth covering it completely (no windows anywhere). In that case it wouldn't freeze much. It could be insulated.

DrummerDad, your post got no response for three long days. And yet, you managed to live with that frustration. Let me be the first to congratulate you on being patient with this forum!

David :D

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
DrummerDad said:
Actually, I am not putting the pipes in the wall -- I just want to move the pipes closer to the wall. Right now they come up in the middle of the cabinet, and I wanted to put them about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the back wall. This would also allow me to add a mounting board to attach the pipes to. Thanks for your help!

You sir, are good to go. The big difference is between inside the wall and outside the wall. Once you're inside the cabinet, there really isn't much temperature difference between 2" off the cabinet back, and 12" off the cabinet back.

DrummerDad

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the answers, and the humor of reading the banter of all you "senior members". Seems like quite a family here.

I have been reading the posts for some time, and I have learned a lot. This forum is very informative, and a times quite humorous! I appreciate that you Pros are willing to share your knowledge with us DIYers.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
DrummerDad said:
Thanks to everyone for the answers, and the humor of reading the banter of all you "senior members". Seems like quite a family here.

I have been reading the posts for some time, and I have learned a lot. This forum is very informative, and a times quite humorous! I appreciate that you Pros are willing to share your knowledge with us DIYers.

Um...wait....we need a billing address.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks