How many vents can I tie together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My cabinn plumbing wall has 4 vents. Toilet (2"), shower/tub (2"), lav (2") and washer (2").

(If it matters, the toilet will be run seperately from the gray water with diverter valves by the septic tank.)

Can I tie all these together above the ceiling and penetrate the roof only once?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Alectrician said:
My cabinn plumbing wall has 4 vents. Toilet (2"), shower/tub (2"), lav (2") and washer (2").

(If it matters, the toilet will be run seperately from the gray water with diverter valves by the septic tank.)

Can I tie all these together above the ceiling and penetrate the roof only once?

Yes, as long as they reconnect to the main vent stack, which should be
3" at least.
If there's no main stack, it's not up to code, but then code varies state to state (I doubt that would though).

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Yes, as long as they reconnect to the main vent stack, which should be
3" at least.
If there's no main stack, it's not up to code, but then code varies state to state (I doubt that would though).

The plumbing wall is only 2x4 so I didn't think I could squeeze a 3" vent pipe in there. I was going to just vent everything individually but thought I could combine them for fewer penetrations.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

True, but his first comment is that it's a cabin! Do they really have any plumbing codes anywhere where people live in "cabins"?

So although we do traditionally try to emphasize code compliance, this is possibly a case where I would say "who cares" , and my chief concern for the owner would be "would this work OK". I suspect that if he tied all the 2's together in the attic, and went through the roof with one 3, he would not have any issues. What do you think about that approach?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
vents

Alectrician said:

Toilet 2in., lav. 1 1/2, shower/tub 1 1/2 and washer 1 1/2; tie these together in the wall, if you can and run one 2in. line to the main stack or thru the roof. It must be a minimum 2in. all the way. jimbo says "who cares", if there is no code; you will when you don't install something thats close to a reasonable practice. Luck.
"If all else fails, read the directions"

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
jimbo said:
True, but his first comment is that it's a cabin! Do they really have any plumbing codes anywhere where people live in "cabins"?

So although we do traditionally try to emphasize code compliance, this is possibly a case where I would say "who cares" , and my chief concern for the owner would be "would this work OK". I suspect that if he tied all the 2's together in the attic, and went through the roof with one 3, he would not have any issues. What do you think about that approach?

I'll go one step further...if you're not doing it "code", why not just stick a
2"...making sure it's 20 inches or so above the roof for frost?
Without yanking out my dfu chart, I think that'd do for a single bath/kitchen.
Nevermind...just did...according to the chart you can run a 2" vent up to 150 feet with 7 fixture units tied in...a bathroom group is 6 alone a K Sink is 2.
Thats my state...we're NOT UPC, but it's prolly the same.
He might go witrh either a 3" or two seperate 2" vents.
Of course, I have to reiterate...it isn't code.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Alectrician said:
The plumbing wall is only 2x4 so I didn't think I could squeeze a 3" vent pipe in there. .... thought I could combine them for fewer penetrations.
you can go through the roof with only one 3" and then split off the various 2" above the ceiling. If your wall isn't able to take a 3" it isn't a big deal IMO; you just go 2" there and that is the only place where you have less than max.

A 3" carries more than twice 2".
A 2" carries about twice 1.5".

Another post mentions 1.5" vents as being sufficient minimum size for certain fixtures; it will work; it was Code everywhere decades ago, but many codes have called for 2" for years now for certain fixtures. FWIW.

David
edit: total distance is another factor, but I'm excluding it here since it's a cabin not a megahouse.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Do they really have any plumbing codes anywhere where people live in "cabins"?

Let me rephrase. My "one bedroom 800 sq foot mountain retreat"......

Can you define "main stack" for me?

I'm thinking I'll tie the tub, toilet and lav together @ 2' and vent the washer seperate. Kitchen is on a different wall and seperate.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Alectrician said:
Let me rephrase. My "one bedroom 800 sq foot mountain retreat"......

Can you define "main stack" for me?

I'm thinking I'll tie the tub, toilet and lav together @ 2' and vent the washer seperate. Kitchen is on a different wall and seperate.

Main stack...you're supposed to keep the vent stack above the same size as the main below all the way through the roof...which in this case is a minimum 3" for the toilet.
I've done log cabins and I know they're no walk in the park to hide a 3" main.
What Jimbo was implying is...well...you're not doing it to code anyway.
So it's a judgement call on your part.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Bottom line is it appears you can simply gather all the 2" vents to come together somewhere in a 3" vent through the roof. If that 3" vent happens to proceed down to serve the toilet directly, all the better, but it's not necessary.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Bottom line is it appears you can simply gather all the 2" vents to come together somewhere in a 3" vent through the roof. If that 3" vent happens to proceed down to serve the toilet directly, all the better, but it's not necessary.

Never tried it.
I would say this though...IF he's going to run 3" at some point and has to put a soffit in, he might just as well go it the distance, do it right instead of risking a hard lesson.
In the same respect, common sense dictates we run a 2" wet-vent per single bath it should (in theory) work.
This is his lucky dilemma.
To me it seems to hinge on whether he'll do any 3" at all...if so, might as well do it right.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Agreed. My house used to have the master bath laid out along one wall, and everything tied into a "stack" in the 6" wall behind the toilet. When we remodeled, the fixtures were scattered over 3 walls, with no opportunity for a "stack". I just left the old stack in place, and tied 3 2" in-wall vents to it in the attic. Looks like a jungle jim up there. Only problem I saw was that the 3" vent could no longer be used as a cleanout, so I added a conventional cleanout under the floor.

Elsewhere around the house, there are 4 2" vents sticking out of the roof, venting individual fixtures, or a toilet/vanity in one case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks