Are these Concrete? How do I connect PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
Hi!
I have some roots in my sewer and need to replace a 10 foot section with PVC.

The pipes are concrete (I think) sections, just short of 3 feet each about 5.5 - 6 " in diameter on the outside. They are connected into each other because they are larger at one end (this is where the roots are growing).

I have attached a couple of pictures.

How do I connect PVC to these?
Do I cut the concrete with a saw?
Should I cut them in the thinner section and use a Fernco coupling to PVC, or can I stick the PVC into it? I guess the inside diameter could be 4" then the latter wouldn't work...

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 557
  • sewer2.jpg
    sewer2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 826

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently cut mine with an angle grinder/diamond blade. It was difficult to maneuver and a little tricky to get at the bottom. I am thinking that someone makes a stiff carbide sawzall blade that may work easier.

Repair with the appropriate sized rubber coupling/stainless steel hose clamp thingy. The OD of the 4" concrete pipe is much larger than that of the 4" PVC so the rubber coupling is flared out a bit. The make those couplings for several different types of pipe (clay for example) that are slightly different dimensions so measure accurately.

Here's a tip and old plumber at a supply house passed on to me. Use a razor knife and cut the "stop" out of the center of the rubber coupling and it will slide all the way back on to your PVC, allowing the a tight fit piece to slip into place.

Here's a tip from me. Put in cleanouts while you're at it.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Alectrician said:
Here's a tip and old plumber at a supply house passed on to me. Use a razor knife and cut the "stop" out of the center of the rubber coupling and it will slide all the way back on to your PVC, allowing the a tight fit piece to slip into place.

Here's a tip from me. Put in cleanouts while you're at it.

Roll the rubber back after it's over the PVC side, then roll it back over the adjacent pipe once in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks