(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Another ceiling fan problem

Default Another ceiling fan problem

I recently bought a house with a remote control operated ceiling fan. Everything on the remote works fine. However, the fan is also tied into the light switch on the wall. The light switch will only turn the fan (and light) off. It won't turn it back on. Is there a simple wiring mix up, or do I need a different type wall switch?

Also, if I leave the wall switch in the on position and use the remote control to turn off the fan, it doesn't turn all the way off. It continues to hum and turn the blades very, very slowly.
    Last edited by rburt5; 07-10-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Any chance you are using a dimmer switch as your wall switcy? I tried that with a remote-controlled fan and some of the fan's features did not work until I swapped in a standard wall switch.

It has a standard wall switch. However, the remote control has a dimmer built into it.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Sounds like the control board may be bad. I'd call the tech support people at the manufacturer to discuss with them.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I called the technical support people and they said that my model of fan cannot be controlled by the wall switch. He said to hang the remote control beside the light switch. I'm just going to buy a new fan. Thanks for your help.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by rburt5
    I called the technical support people and they said that my model of fan cannot be controlled by the wall switch.
    Thats a true statement, however that doesn't answer the question on why the remote doesn't turn the fan all the way off. Buy a different brand next time.

Rancher