15.6V Showing on Circuit - Why??

Users who are viewing this thread

nasttcar

Reaction score
I am showing 15.6 volts on my outlet hot wires, even though power is not on that circuit.

Here's the background.

I have just put in a new room in my basement. The room has 6 outlets around the perimeter and 10 "can" lights in the ceiling on 2 switches.

All electrical is run in conduit and the hot wire comes from a 20A circuit and all wiring is 12ga. solid copper. All is installed in metal boxes.

All commons are twisted tightly together and wire nutted.

I used a blue wire for one light circuit, a yellow wire for the 2nd light circuit, and black for the wall outlets.

When I have the lights on in the room, I get 15.6 V showing on the black wire for all of my wall outlets.

Because all of this is now behind sheetrock, and several of the runs are through flexible whips, it is impossible to pull out or pull back any of the wires.

What is going on, and what are possible solutions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are they all separate CB? or are they all on one CB? Is there one common neutral, or did you run separate neutrals for each branch?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What kind of meter are you using to measure the voltage?

Are the can lights and receptacles all on the same 20A circuit from the panel?

Do you see the same 15.6V at the recptacles with the lights on and off?

If the current-carrying conductors to the lights and the receptacles run alongside each other for any distance, I'm suspecting a small induced voltage on the hot lead to the receptacles coming from the current flowing to power the lights. With no load on the receptacles and a sensitive meter, you will see that voltage. Try plugging in a small lamp or other load and I'll bet the voltage drops to essentially zero.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. What conductors are you measuring the voltage betrween?
2. Is the power on to the outlets when you measure this voltage?

I f the answer to 2 is the power is off and you are using a digital meter see
Mikey's post above he hit the nail on the head, commonly called "Ghost Voltage" this is not uncommon.

Take a wiggy type tester (solinoid style) or plug in a lamp, look closely at the lamp (clear bulbs work best) see if the bulb shows any light (red) also measure voltage at this time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks