Install Outside Clean Out in Main Sewer

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
Hi!
I have experienced some roots in my main sewer line and was adviced by a plummer to install an outside clean out and snake the line from there.
Yesterday, I located the sewer line and it seems to be a 4-inch iron pipe, or possibly galvanized pipe. They are coupled together and I can see roots trying to get in there.
Does anyone have any advice of how to do this?
Could I cut the pipe with a metal saw and install a vertical piece with a cover to use for future clean outs.
I was thinking of renting a snake with a root cutter tip.
Thanks for any help!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It could be cast-iron. If it is you could cut a section out and rework it with PVC.

Back in my digging days we would set up 2 cleanouts served by opposite wye's with street 45's turned up with cleanout caps.

This way when the cable was dropped down either cleanout, there was no debating which way that cable was heading. They make a uni-directional cleanout tee that will work but most times when the drain is clogged, you can't see that.

You go entirely off how the cable glides in that pipe as your running the machine. The cable usually rubs against the opposite side you're trying to clear.

froddan

Reaction score
Thanks!
Would I insert a piece of PVC and connect it to the cast-iron using No-Hub Clamps? Would the PVC fit perfectly with this or any other type of connection? I assume the PVC would not fit inside the Cast Iron.

Thanks for any responses!
Fredrik

RUGGED said:
It could be cast-iron. If it is you could cut a section out and rework it with PVC.

Back in my digging days we would set up 2 cleanouts served by opposite wye's with street 45's turned up with cleanout caps.

This way when the cable was dropped down either cleanout, there was no debating which way that cable was heading. They make a uni-directional cleanout tee that will work but most times when the drain is clogged, you can't see that.

You go entirely off how the cable glides in that pipe as your running the machine. The cable usually rubs against the opposite side you're trying to clear.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The inside diameter of the pipes is the same, only the outside are different. Now, that doesn't account for any accumulated crud that may be in the existing pipe, though.

froddan

Reaction score
Concrete Pipes To PVC

So after 3 more hours of digging last night, I found the root of the problem...yes, roots!!!
Also, I found that the beginning of the pipe that comes out from the foundation is 4 inch cast iron, it is then connected to a thicker concrete-like pipe.
The first piece makes a 90 degree turn and then each piece is about 3 feet long, the outside diameter is about 5.5 inches and each connection has some roots going into it.
My plan is to install the clean-out next to the cast iron, and then replace the next 3-4 sections of concrete with 4 inch PVC based on your advice using the no-hub clamps.
My problem now is, how do I connect between PVC and the concrete pipe?
I attached a couple of pictures of the CI to Concrete and the 90 degree bend and also the Concrete to Concrete part.

Attachments

• sewer1.jpg
    sewer1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,557
  • sewer2.jpg
    sewer2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,450
  • sewer3-combined.JPG
    sewer3-combined.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,895
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks