replacing old toilet, flange, shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

llcart

Reaction score
I need to replace an old toilet, flange and shut-off valve. Is this something an average homeowner can do? I'm most worried about the flange esp because I have an old house... Also, I have a 14in rough-in, can anyone recommend a good toilet? I've heard Toto are good, but I can only find 1 14in rough-in on their web site and I'd like something with a bit more style to go with the other older fixtures
Thanks,
Desperate Homeowner

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've seen homeowners that can't screw in a light bulb (or are afraid to), and others that do major remodels; hard to characterize an average homeowner. If you have reasonable mechanical aptitude, it is not that hard. If the flange is in bad shape, then it becomes a much bigger pain, something to consider if it is the only toilet in the house.

The Totos that use the unifit adapter will work on a 14" rough-in. It comes with the 12" version, but the 14" can be purchased for it.

My unprofessional opinion.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
lol you're right Jim. I've never heard it put quite so eloquently though....cant screw in a lightbulb! cracked me up...

anyway.......

Desperate Homeowner,

Have you already pulled the toilet and inspected the flange? If not, you may or may not have to replace it. All depends on what you find after you pull the toilet and inspect the flange. Also, the Totos with the Unifit adapter are a good choice. A bit "different" to install, but you cant beat those Totos.

Last edited by a moderator:

llcart

Reaction score
diy flange and toilet

I haven't done much plumbing work, but am fairly handy so I"m going to give it a try. I had a plumber out who pulled the old toilet off and told me the flange was shot but that he didn't have the part to fix it and that it would cost me $300 to have him do it. Thanks, and hopefully I'll be back on to report success (or otherwise ask alot of questions on flange installation and unifit installation)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks