Sound of Water Running when it's not

Users who are viewing this thread

cballew

Reaction score
Last night I heard a strange noise coming from the wall between my room and my bathroom. It sounds like there is a stream of water constantly running. This morning I turned off the water at the main and turned on the sink to drain the water from the pipes. I wanted to see if it was water I was hearing. The sound stopped, but when I turned off the sink after a few minutes, the sound started again. I turned on the sink again and more water came out (for some reason, it never stops) and the sound stops again, but when I turn the sink off it starts.

Any idea what is causing this noise? Could this be a more serious problem? :confused:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
From the way your post is worded, it sounds like you may have two different problems going on.

A) Last night I heard a strange noise coming from the wall between my room and my bathroom. It sounds like there is a stream of water constantly running.

The first place I'd check is the toilet. It could be that your fill valve isnt shutting off completely and may need to be replaced.

B) This morning I turned off the water at the main and turned on the sink to drain the water from the pipes. I wanted to see if it was water I was hearing. The sound stopped, but when I turned off the sink after a few minutes, the sound started again. I turned on the sink again and more water came out (for some reason, it never stops)

You say you turned off the water, turned the sink faucet on to drain the lines, turned the sink faucet back off, turned it back on and there was water in the lines again. Right? I'd check my main water shutoff valve. If it is an old gate valve, it may have failed in the fact that you cannot get the water completely shut off.

Good luck!

edbreyer

Reaction score
Circulating pump?

Any chance your home has a circulating pump? These pumps are sometimes used on today's larger houses to keep hot water in the hot water pipes at all times - which eliminates a long wait for hot water to come out of the faucet at the far end of the house. Just a thought.

cballew

Reaction score
Nope. It's an old house and this is definately a new sound. I think it may be the toilet thing because the toilet started leaking at the beginning of the week so I shut it off until I can fix it. They could be related since they happened so close together.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sound

If you have a concrete slab floor, that sound is consistent with a leak, (usually hot water), under the floor. Your valve may be like a whole lot of them and does not shut off completely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks