Pressure Switch Failing?

Users who are viewing this thread

fdesantis

Reaction score
I have a 13 year old SquareD pumptrol type FSG2 pressure switch which recently started exceeding the cut out setting. I believe it was previously set at 40/60. Last night I discovered water leaking from the check valve. It appears that the switch isn't recognizing the increase in pressure properly and is now shutting off around 80+ psi. It does however cut in properly at 40 psi. I've tried adjusting the differential with little to no success. From what I've read here, it seems that either it's time to replace the switch or possibly the inlet to the switch may be clogged. My well guy can't come until next week and I'd rather not wait. So instead of calling around for other people, I'm considering doing it myself. For those who have replaced a switch before, on a scale of 1 to 10 (with one being easy) how would you rate this job? I consider myself pretty handy and have done other plumbing (no soldering skills though) and electrical projects. I'd appreciate any advice or information on things to watch out for. Thanks in advance.

Hube

Reaction score
Replacing an existing switch presents no problem at all, especially if using the same type, etc. Imo, a scale of an easy 2... :)
Note; make sure the tube to the switch is clean of any goop/crud.

Most Square D sfg2 switches are set at 20/40 or 30/50. So make sure you follow the instructions on raising the settings.

Also, make sure the pressure tank (when empty ) has air pressure set at 2 psi below the pump's cut-in setting.

Good luck...Hube

fdesantis

Reaction score
Replacing the switch turned out to be pretty easy and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

It is always a good idea to check and/or replace the nipple, too. These are a narrow diameter and can clog easily, giving a false pressure reading to the switch.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks