Auto re-set and wiring diagrams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
Hi, have a dayton 2 speed motor on a whole house fan that quit working and have a couple of questions. Checked and have voltage through the timer and control and to the motor.The motor has a automatic re-set for the thermal protection, do these things stick sometimes?? would putting the motor in the freezer help, assuming the auto re-set comes about from metal expansion and contraction with heat?? The 3 black wires in the motor have T1, T2 and T4 printed on them, are T1 and T2 the different speeds and T4 the netural?? Looked for a wiring diagram for dayton motors and could not find one. I forgot to look on the underside of the cover, usually they have a basic diagram there. The control is a dayton wondered if the timer only runs down while there is current flow though it. Plan to test the motor with test clips and want to make sure I get them hooked up right so I don't damage the motor. Thanks for any input. - Don

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Other than mentioned, If accessible you can utilize an ohm meter and read across the thermal cutout and see if you have continuity (thermal is made). Also might try reading with the ohm meter from T1 to T2, T2 to T4 should have resistance, and then T4 to ground (fan case) and you should have an open reading, no continuity.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
don metzinger said:
... automatic re-set for the thermal protection, do these things stick sometimes?? would putting the motor in the freezer help, assuming the auto re-set comes about from metal expansion and contraction with heat??

Those thermal switches are bi-metal buttons that flex under heat. They can go bad, and I doubt putting yours in the 'fridge would revive it if it is bad.

don metzinger said:
Looked for a wiring diagram for dayton motors ...

As you had mentioned, that is usually somewhere on the motor.

don metzinger said:
... wondered if the timer only runs down while there is current flow though it.

A spring-loaded, mechanical timer does not need power to run down, and an electronic one would probably reset after an outage.

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Will be working on it later today. Sorry for the problems with the postings, there are always a few who cause problems for the rest. - Don

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sorry for the problems with the postings, there are always a few who cause problems for the rest. - Don
HuH?

The numbers T1 - T4 could mean a lot of things. A diagram would sure be helpful. Two speed motors have more leads than single speed motors and if it's a cap start motor would have points also.

Dayton is a name Graingers uses so that is not necessarily the brand motor you have. It could be one of many brands they use.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks