can you make this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

RayS

Reaction score
this is the install of my thermostatic valve, I am having a problem figuring and orienting the shower valve ( that's the one on the bottom of the pic, I included a close up) No matter what I do its seems to point where it wants whjen I get it tight enough to be water tight! Obviously, the shower hose should point down but I can't seem to get it to go any further from that position??? Also the backer board looks like it will be too far in the wall for me to even screww it in that tight once the backer board and tiles are on??? how can get this right??? I was planning to include an elbow at the bottom before the outlet to get it to turn 90 degrees to the right and maybe point down???

Ray

Attachments

• water valve 2.jpg
    water valve 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 268
  • water valve 1.jpg
    water valve 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 274

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hose should come with a rubber seal. Lose the TEFLON® Tape.

TEFLON® Tape can be used on tapered threads, but has no use on straight threads.

What are the specs for the trim to finished wall?
It should say somewhere.

attachment.php

No TEFLON® tape on the hose joint.

Last edited:

RayS

Reaction score
Terry...

I'm not having any problem with the hose, but with the hose attachment part : the one coming from the wall!:

It all has to be pointing down....not sideways like now...so do I turn the brass part so it points down
?

As for the wall specs they should be anywhere from 3/4" to 1 inch in thickness when done. As you can see from the pic ...the hose is oriented the wrong way...it should point straight down not up right! ???? how do I take the guesswork out of the equation?

Thanks

Ray

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I guess as a plumber I shouldn't point the wrong use of tape on fittings, even though you posted here to see.

If you want the hose fitting to be a certain direction, you will need to quit turning it that far.
Since that looks like a tapered thread, where it goes to the drop ear 90 el, you can use less or more thread compond. That might mean less or more tape, if that's what you used. Tape can be used on tapered threads.

RayS

Reaction score
Terry said:
I guess as a plumber I shouldn't point the wrong use of tape on fittings, even though you posted here to see.

That might mean less or more tape, if that's what you used. Tape can be used on tapered threads.

I stand corrected on the tape for the hose ....I will remove it....And yes I did use tape on the tapered 90 elbow, is there anything else to use or just more or less tape??

Thanks

Ray

RayS

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
How is that connection even legal in a concealed location? :confused: :confused:

If you are having trouble with it leaking now I'm sure you'll not find out after it's too late when it starts leaking again.

Also, when you straighten it up it's going to hard kink that hose. Hose?

what....legal? concealed??? ok tell me what is wrong before I put the walls up.....of course this is a test fit for when the walls are upo and I have to line up the shower valve the elbow and the hose...that is not going to be concealed! I included the pic of the rough in again showing the volume control knob (square on top) and the hose valve (suqare at the bottom) these will not be hidden in the wall of course.....??? And the hose has to point down!

Ray

Attachments

• water valve 2.jpg
    water valve 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 311

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes. Concealed, meaning no way to access once it is covered. In KY even though you have a access panel intention, no compression/removable connections behind the wall.

The theory is the reliability of threaded/compression connections leaking over time and the inability to find the leak when it starts.

We don't know what state you're in so it's hard to say what is allowable.

In KY that is a instant fail due to the connections you are using.

A safer bet would be to pipe that connection in PEX to a shower lug ell with a barbed end, crimp joints at each end and that will solve that issue I'm presenting.

Check with your local plumbing inspector, the local authority reigns supreme on these matters.

RayS

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
A safer bet would be to pipe that connection in PEX to a shower lug ell with a barbed end, crimp joints at each end and that will solve that issue I'm presenting.
I was told that Pex connections had a greater risk of failure than the ipex and that the new standard here in montreal was indeed the ipex compression (and it costs more, I was about to do the whole thing with pex! until the lad at the plumbing store warned me about the possible failure of the Pex for shower connections????)

So you are saying I should redo (remove the blue ipex ) and reconnect all of this to pex, crimped all the way??

Thanks

Ray

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I share the same beliefs

but my recommendation was to get a threaded/removable connection out of the wall.

My preference is copper.

Let the others on this site elaborate further with your situation....and it would be great if that person who made the statement about PEX would go into detail for his comments.

Apparently there must be feedback or quality control issues the plumbers are stating, going back to the supply houses.

The guy wouldn't of said it otherwise.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you got good stuff, Aqua Ipex. (It's from Kitec.) Some people have never seen it. It is good stuff, regardless of what a store staff person told you, no matter how old or experienced the store staff is. You paid more, for a reason, or for several reasons.

I do know that what you bought is the only Pex-like product approved for installation in commercial and industrial buildings, in Quebec. That includes concrete condo buildings (Even though the building use is residential, the construction standards are higher.) Either that or copper pipe, in those buildings. Low cost Pexes are allowed in owner occupied houses.

David

RayS

Reaction score
Thank Rugged,

I'm going to see a plumber now to get to the bottom of this...will keep you posted

Ray

RayS

Reaction score
geniescience.....

geniescience said:
you got good stuff, Aqua Ipex. (It's from Kitec.) Some people have never seen it. It is good stuff, regardless of what a store staff person told you, no matter how old or experienced the store staff is. You paid more, for a reason, or for several reasons.

I do know that what you bought is the only Pex-like product approved for installation in commercial and industrial buildings, in Quebec. That includes concrete condo buildings (Even though the building use is residential, the construction standards are higher.) Either that or copper pipe, in those buildings. Low cost Pexes are allowed in owner occupied houses.

David

So I should leave it then?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Woah there Nellie!

geniescience said:
you got good stuff, Aqua Ipex. (It's from Kitec.)
David

Isn't this the same product that has a class action lawsuit for defective fittings due to the pipe leaching over brass, causing dezincification? (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Please elaborate. There is a thread on this site involving 74,000 homes affected where this product is being removed due to defect.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11782&highlight=Kitec

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks