Above Ground Pump Hook-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer Woman

Reaction score
Hello All -
We have a 15' dug well - the pump is in the cellar, it is a Red Jacket 3/4hp. The pump is on top of a 30/50 Pressure tank with a busted bladder. Currently the line from the well comes to the bottom fitting on the pump, one of the upper fittings from the pump go to the tank, another goes to the house pipes.

We will be installing a new tank because the pump is short-cycling. My question is. Should the line to the house come out of the tank or is it plumbed correct now with the two lines coming from the pump, one to the house, one to the tank. Thank You so much in advance.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Could you send a picture of this setup so we can see what you have now?

There should only be one pipe going to the well. Then you only need one more pipe coming from the pump. It can go to the bladder tank then tee off into the home.

bob...

Washer Woman

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the set-up. The line from the well is the lower galvanized. The black plastic goes from pump to tank (it does not T even though it looks like it in the pic). The galvanized with spigot goes to house.
IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

I have a pre-charged pressure tank we will be installing. Any suggestions are much appriciated

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
That pump was Red Jackets version of the convertable jet. The white plug on the side at the bottom can be changed from a shallow well jet to a deep well plug. Hard telling which one is in that pump since someone used the backpressure port as the tank feed. I guess if it makes better than 40 lbs. they have the right part in that hole. You should plug that top 1" hole and go to the tank off the galvanized pipe that has a tee in it already.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks