sputtering and spitting facet and shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

reeveb

Reaction score
I recently took ownership of a 1918 craftsman and one of the first things i noticed was when I turn on the kitchen sink it spits and sputters for about 4 seconds and then has constant pressure.

I didn't notice the same sputtering in any of the other facets.

However now I do notice that if you take a shower, the inital pressure is perfect but after about five minutes it starts to sputter...almost like an old car that's misfiring...and once the sputtering starts it doesn't return to normal pressure.

I am a total plumbing novice and don't want to DIY it but I also want to go into this with some idea of the problem before i hire a plumber.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

other notes: Normal gas water heater (not on demand) is about 7 years old...- generally h2o pressure is excellent...all copper plumbnig -- and all the way to the street

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
You seem to be getting air into your water lines. I take it that you're not on a private well. Have they been doing a lot of connecting of systems or work on the public water lines in your area recently?
Usually, you can get rid of air in the lines by just running the faucets until it's all out and it stops spitting and sputtering.
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks