Need quick septic tank advice please!

Users who are viewing this thread

KBAJ

Reaction score
It's been raining in Oklahoma for the last 25 days! I noticed that my toilets weren't flushing well and thus, had the septice tank pumped (to the tune of $200). The guy says that the tank has been filled a third to half with dirt. He can't pump it the dirt out. Only option he gave was to take the whole top off the tank and have it manually dug out to the cost of $850.00. Meanwhile our tank capacity is minimized and we feel we can't even do laundry. Of course part of the problem has been all this rain which has caused the ground to be saturated. But does anyone have any advice? Where did the dirt come from? the lateral lines? Does this mean they may be damaged? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the $$$? Thanks, I need to get this take care of very soon!

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you don't know how the dirt got in your tank I sure don't either.

The tank is not what holds all the water, it simply holds the solids while the bacteria feast on them. The water goes out into a drain field that allows the water to soak into the ground. Since your ground is totally saturated, it doesn't want to take any more.

I'm sure there are other ways to empty the tank of dirt than removing the entire top, I'm just not sure what they are. Sorry.

bob...

KBAJ

Reaction score
Update on my septic tank

Thanks to all who have read and given advice. I did get a second opinion. The new company states it is NOT dirt, just sludge and they can pump it out with a bit of effort. Will start first thing tomorrow am at 7:30! Keeping my fingers crossed. If it works, I'm thinking of writing a letter to the first company, requesting at least a partial payment back and/or maybe the Better Business Bureau as well!

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
And have it pumped every 2-4 years! Learned this the hard way!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks