Framing, notching, boring and related information

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
My son-in-law and I are going to be framing a floor today, and here is an insightful link I just found:

http://www.awc.org/HelpOutreach/eCourses/MAT105/Section05-Floors.pdf

The file is still downloading for me, but I already see there are some good pictures and information related to notches and bores for plumbing and electrical lines. At first glance, it looks like certain practices we might take for granted are actually not structurally sound!

Happy vewing ...

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Does anybody have any experience framing a floor with I-joists? The 10" ones we just used here have 2X3 flanges with 7/16 OSB for the web. They are 15' long and we need to reinforce the ends for a 22" cantilever. At the moment, our plan is to add 4' pieces of 3/4" plywood between the flanges and to each side of the web where the joists sit on the beam. It is dark outside at the moment, but I can add a picture later this morning ...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Here is a look at our cantilever situation:

Attachments

• I-joists.jpg
    I-joists.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 360

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really need a structural engineer, or at least a call to the manufacturer to find out how to do what you want. Installed as designed, I-joists are great, installed wrong and they are a disaster waiting to happen.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jadnashua said:
You really need a structural engineer ...

That would be me, and I am also the inspector ... just ask my son-in-law! But yes, I do realize I-joists cannot have the same specs as dimensional lumber.

Phil H2 said:
Have you looked at the information at APA's website?

Yes, I just did, and I thank you very much! I did have to register first, but then I found everything I needed to know ... and we only need to make one minor correction on something that could have otherwise been a major error. Our cantilever is 2" under maximum and the 4' plywood plates will slightly exceed minimum, but it is the flanges that must be plated rather than the web.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks