good hedge plants for eastern canada

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkMark

Reaction score
looking to find a fast growing hedge plant to offer some privacy. I live in Nova Scotia (eastern canada). does anyone have any suggestions on what plants would grow well and quickly?

thanks mark

MarkMark

Reaction score
soil is mostly made up of clay, well drained. height is not a big issuse, anything over 3-4 feet would be great. It would be in an area that recieves direct sun. tempreature during the summer range from 20C to 30C and freezing during the winter

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
sounds like anything that grows well in Portland Maine will grow where you are.

still more questions, that you'll need to tell the nursery.
Salt spray?
Strong winds?
Urban? Some plants like being near buildings, hot in summer.
Near a wall? Some hedge plants need light and air on both sides.

David

Cookie

Reaction score
Although a little more slow growing than you many want, I think a Rhododenron would grown well. I think I even saw those in Nova Scotia. Plus, they get huge. I have 2 large ones and have to continually prune them every season. They give excellent privacy.

David MacD

Contractor
Reaction score
Rogosa Roses, are fast growing here in Downeast Maine. If you know someone with them it is easy to take trailers from their plants and replant them. Next spring will grow like crazy.

carnaval

Reaction score
Rugosa Roses will be the best
have a lok at these pictures...i'm sure you'd like to have them in your garden.

hhudson1.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks