Toto - Leaky GMAX fill valve

Users who are viewing this thread

dk7878

Reaction score
We installed three new Ultramax toilets in February 2007. The fill valves on all three leak (sometimes a constant drip, sometimes a sporadic spurt). I have cleaned out the filter (it was spotless) and replaced one of the valves completely with a new one and it leaks also. When they leak, the water comes out of the fill tube between flushes. After a flush when the tank is filling, water usually leaks out of the valve cap before the fill tube.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Doug

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water can leak from the cap area duing a refill, that's part of the antisiphon, that's normal.

Water from the tube, that points into the overflow tube, that would be normal. That fills the bowl after a flush.

If, after everyything has filled, then things should go quiet.

There are two fill valves used on the Ultramax.

The Korky type, can be cleaned or repaired using these instructions

https://terrylove.com/korky/

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

If you have the type, with the screw adjustment, and it does not come to a complete shutoff when finished, then you would be looking at replacement.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the Ultimate tank, wth the Korky style fill valve.

cst854_inside_tank_new.jpg

And with the fill valve that has a screen at the bottom where the water comes in.

Last edited:

bbruck

Reaction score
I have an ultramax with the valve pictured in the lower picture. Can anyone tell me (a) what the model number of that valve is so I can google it, and (b) what the white screw is for?

I'm getting a pretty steady drip from the little black hose. The flapper is seated tightly, but water just drips into the fill tube.

Not sure if that screw would allow me to adjust anything.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
The white screw allows you to adjust the height of the float so you can raise or lower the water in the tank.
If you have a Ultramax with the G-max the new fill valve is part #TSU18A.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may want to invest in an inexpensive water pressure gauge (costs about $10 at a big box store). Toilet fill valves are more sensitive to excessive pressure than many others in your house, and if all three are leaking so soon, you may need a pressure reduction valve to protect the whole house. Get one with a max reading tattle tale and leave it attached overnight. It shouldn't exceed 80#, and if it does, you've found the reason things are leaking.

DIYCA

Reaction score
Can you replace the TSU18A valve (bottom picture) with the version on top (Korky 528Z)? The top version seems to be more readily available and repairable.

davidlu54

Reaction score
This is an excellent website with good information. Others have asked for the instruction manual for TSU18A (lower photo), but Terry provided a link for an instruction manual to the one in the upper photo. I then wasted a lot of time searching the web for the manual to the TSU18A in the lower photo ... before I realized that it is a "non-repairable" fill valve! Is this correct? If this is correct, then I would suggest changing the caption to BIG BOLD lettering.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There is actually a pretty good little sheet from Toto on how to service both types of valves. Here is is: Toto Valve Serviciing

The Voreto valve (the one on the bottom, made in China from a Toto design) comes in a lot of subtypes with different TSU numbers, but does have some commonalities. Generally, you can clean its filter, but you can't replace the working parts just by swapping a little cap, like you can with the Korky.

Personally, I dislike the Voreto valves and so have tossed mine and replaced it with the relevant Korky (upper photo) model (which brand is now the Universal replacement valve for Toto products). You can get one of those at Lowe's, part number 528MPK (528MP at other retailers).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst854_inside_tank_new.jpg

With this valve, drop the water supply, and using a needle nose pliers, pull the filter screen from the inlet, clean, and then reconnect the supply line.

tsu33a_2.jpg

The screen in the inlet. A needle nose pliers will remove it for cleaning.

davidlu54

Reaction score
528 vs 528 MPK

Terry, Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately the problem is not with the water inlet screen.

For the replacement, should I use the suggested 528MPK model?
Home Depot only carries the white top 528 model.

toto_gmax_parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks