The $$$ cost of water

Users who are viewing this thread

Raucina

Reaction score
I have a choice of water at $1,000 hookup and then $13.50 a month forever for standby, and about $35.00 for the first 7,000 gallons monthly. Incrementally higher after that. Or to drill a well in a very "iffy" area for 10 to 20 thousand.

I guess the water system is the best bet, but what are others paying to use 7,000 gallons a month?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The first question is are you a gambler?

Can you afford to lose 10-20K should you end up with a dry hole and then pay more to hook up to county water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

In this area you would not have to make the decision. If there were municpal sewer and water available, (available meaning in the area even if it cost you $10,000.00 to extend it to your property), you could not have a well, or septic tank. The quality of water from a municipal supply is monitored, whereas your well water would be whatever comes out of the ground.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Most folks around here on save money by hooking up to rural water. The exceptions are those who feed live stock and use a LARGE amount of water.

My choice would be rural water if I was starting from scratch.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would hookup. But I would setup my well for all outside stuff and maybe for the laundry. I would make sure that the meter had back flow prevention and have it set up with a single valve between the well and municipal water for when they go down.

If they had sewer I would jump on it to even if you had to toss a pump into your septic tank and pump into there system.

Raucina

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I'll go for their water, sounds pretty cheap at
$35/7000 gallons. Have to do septic for about $4,000 - no sewer system.

On further investigation, a well in this area is Russian roulette. The system wells are over 800' deep, so I guess the water district is a good buy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks