(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: The $$$ cost of water

Default The $$$ cost of water

I have a choice of water at $1,000 hookup and then $13.50 a month forever for standby, and about $35.00 for the first 7,000 gallons monthly. Incrementally higher after that. Or to drill a well in a very "iffy" area for 10 to 20 thousand.

I guess the water system is the best bet, but what are others paying to use 7,000 gallons a month?

The first question is are you a gambler?

Can you afford to lose 10-20K should you end up with a dry hole and then pay more to hook up to county water.

Default water

In this area you would not have to make the decision. If there were municpal sewer and water available, (available meaning in the area even if it cost you $10,000.00 to extend it to your property), you could not have a well, or septic tank. The quality of water from a municipal supply is monitored, whereas your well water would be whatever comes out of the ground.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

My wife and I usually use less than 7,000 gallons per month, and our county water bill is about $65-$70/mon. I'm sure that it varies greatly from place to place.
    That's why we have a separate well for watering the yard, washing our pickups, etc.
    Mike

Most folks around here on save money by hooking up to rural water. The exceptions are those who feed live stock and use a LARGE amount of water.

My choice would be rural water if I was starting from scratch.

Previous member

I'm the opposite of that, the less Government and monthly bills in my life the better.

bob...

I would hookup. But I would setup my well for all outside stuff and maybe for the laundry. I would make sure that the meter had back flow prevention and have it set up with a single valve between the well and municipal water for when they go down.

If they had sewer I would jump on it to even if you had to toss a pump into your septic tank and pump into there system.

Thanks for the replys. I'll go for their water, sounds pretty cheap at
    $35/7000 gallons. Have to do septic for about $4,000 - no sewer system.

On further investigation, a well in this area is Russian roulette. The system wells are over 800' deep, so I guess the water district is a good buy.