(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Danger Zone ??

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by molo
    If you look at photo 1 from my last post, the receptacle is at the lower left.
    My fault, just didn't look hard enough

1. Is this light still dangerous?
    Less dangerous now that it was before. It will be fine
    2. What is the best way to hande the 5 ground wires?

TIA,
    Molo
    Not sure what you are asking but be sure to bond the metal box and use a wire nut on the grounds ( I think this is what you are asking)

That's what I'm asking,
    How do I bond the box?

Means you connect the metal box to the ground wires.

Look for a grounding screw, inside the box. If there isn't one, look for a grounding-screw-hole. It's often got a little arrow nearby, and the letters "grd.", to differentiate it from the mounting holes.

If you need to get grounding screws, any electrical supply will have them, even HD has them sometimes.

Connect a pigtail under the screw, join the other end with your ground wires bundle. Which you connect all together, as Mike mentioned, with a wire nut.

...I was going to link to a picture I found on a google search, but it's from a blocked site.

So I stole it, instead.

They don't have a bundle of ground wires, and it's a fan not a light, so it's a tiny bit different; but the basic principle's the same:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by frenchie; 07-06-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks for all the help guys, this was a good learning experience. My local electric supply house has some new med.cab. lights that I will be looking at this week. He said the hole is in the center (where the wires come out) but I could drill over to the side and bring the wires out in front of the box. I'll have to take a look. I wonder what code is for insulating lights like this. Most of the new lights that I see have a layer of insulation with a reflective coating on one side. This is usually found between the light fixture and the wall/ceiling. I wonder if this reflective layer of insulation is required where the fixture is larger than the receptacle, which is so often the case with light fixtures. Does anybody know about the requirements for this? I am particularly interested because sometimes I like to use older light fixtures.

Molo

Thanks for all the help guys, this was a good learning experience. My local electric supply house has some new med.cab. lights that I will be looking at this week. He said the hole is in the center (where the wires come out) but I could drill over to the side and bring the wires out in front of the box. I'll have to take a look. I wonder what code is for insulating lights like this. Most of the new lights that I see have a layer of insulation with a reflective coating on one side. This is usually found between the light fixture and the wall/ceiling. I wonder if this reflective layer of insulation is required where the fixture is larger than the receptacle, which is so often the case with light fixtures. Does anybody know about the requirements for this? I am particularly interested because sometimes I like to use older light fixtures.

Molo
    It would depend on the UL listing.

Please tell me how I can learn what the UL listings mean.

TIa,
    Molo

Here is a good starting point

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

I wonder what code is for insulating lights like this. Most of the new lights that I see have a layer of insulation with a reflective coating on one side. This is usually found between the light fixture and the wall/ceiling. I wonder if this reflective layer of insulation is required where the fixture is larger than the receptacle, which is so often the case with light fixtures. Does anybody know about the requirements for this?
    I believe the issue there is simply that of keeping heat away from combustible material(s), and that would mean the physical size/shape/construction of the insulator is determined accordingly regardless of the size of the box behind it ... and a UL listing simply means the fixture and or some integral component is believed safe.

I think the insulation is there to direct heat away from the wiring.
    I believe you need to replace the receptacle with a GFCI.
    If you do stay with that existing fixture install some compact fluorescent lamps as that will cut down on the heat also.
    Other than that I would say you have done fine with what you had to work with.

The receptacle will be replaced with a GFCI, it makes sense that heat is the concern, I will do like you said and go with the compact flourescents or a low-heat bulb like that.

Thanks for the suggestion,
    Molo