kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jpiazza

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2 inch drain going into the mainstack via a short run of about 1foot of 1 1/2 inch. There is a slop sink at the point where the pipe reduction is. Is there a problem with this drain backing up because of the restricted flow of the downsized pipe? The fitting on the stack is 1 1/2 threaded cast iron. Would it be best to open this up to 2 inch as close to the stack as possible? Thanks in advance.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
jpiazza said:
Hi all. I have a 2 inch drain going into the mainstack via a short run of about 1foot of 1 1/2 inch. There is a slop sink at the point where the pipe reduction is. Is there a problem with this drain backing up because of the restricted flow of the downsized pipe? The fitting on the stack is 1 1/2 threaded cast iron. Would it be best to open this up to 2 inch as close to the stack as possible? Thanks in advance.

NEVER a good idea to decrease a drain size downstream.
A clog waiting to happen.
It would be better to run it 1-1/2" all the way, but your slop sink has a 2" drain....
The right way would be to cut in a 2" wye at the stack and vent between the trap and the stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks