What Fuses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Can anyone tell by this photo what are the right fuses to use? I have one missing, and one isn't working (even though it noe of the remaining three look burned). Any insight would be appreciated

TIA,
Molo

Attachments

• fuses 100_0495.jpg
    fuses 100_0495.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,151

Cookie

Reaction score
Molo, why not maybe take one out and take it to the store with you, and do what I do, I ask or buy an assortment trying them all.

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The fuses protect the wire.

Your lighting and general outlets are probably 14 gauge and need 15 amp fuses.

If you have a 12 gauge circuit for the kitchen it can be a 20 amp fuse.

The bigger fuses in the pullouts (range and main) will likely be 50 amps (#8 wire to a panel inside and the range).

You have to know the wire size to determine the proper fuse size.

PS. Nice burn mark on the panel cover. Was that you?

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
the fuses you have on the box that is the time delay fuse and they come in specal socket size and if i rember it correctally the missing fuse on bottom left that is good for 20 amp fuse but i can see some damage to the adpator.

but really my suggest that get 15 or 20 amp fuse but really IMO i think it will be wise to get the electrician to come in and look at your fuse box and i am sure they will suggest to upgrading the fuse box becasue the box you have now is pretty old and there is not too many electrician do carry specal tool to remove the damaged adpator and put new one in.

and the 60 amp fuse box is pretty much " history " by today codes because over the years the codes and wiring do update over the time and have more circuit than it was used to be in old days.

the other thing i will give you a head up with older fuse box some case you will run into old oddball wiring in there what we called " tube and knob " alot of older homes still using it [ it is safe as long it is NOT overloaded and not add new circuit to the K&T ]

to change over the fuse box to breaker box is genrally not a DIY project it have quite few rules to dealt with it so have a estame from at least 3 electrician to give you the price to upgrading this box

if have more question please do post it here

Merci , Marc

Molo

Reaction score
Cass said:
Looks like someone ruined some test leads.

The burn mark wasnt' me. That particular fuse did blow the other day when a house fan had a knicked wire that shorted. Could that cause the problem?
I will look at the wire to determine fuse size.

TIA,
Molo

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes the nicked wire can cause a short and the fuse should blow doing its job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
adapter

The adapter should have markings inside it as the the fuse range it will handle. If you get the wrong Fusetron it will not screw into the adapter.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
hj said:
The adapter should have markings inside it as the the fuse range it will handle. If you get the wrong Fusetron it will not screw into the adapter.

Very true

Simply match the color in the base to the color of the fuse.

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
Let me add this real quick with fuse colours.,,

Bleu = 15 amp
Red or Orange = 20 amp
Green = 25 or 30 amp fuse

there is few other size as well that is smaller than 15 amp but to keep it simple here i will just list most common fuse size here for now

Many Big box store and hardware store will stock this item but make sure you watch the word " time delay " that the type i like to buy becaue it can handle the load surge like motor start up etc,, the cheaper verson what i call one time use fuse or quick blow that dont have time delay in there that is fine for lighting circuit or any other circuits where it dont have any motor load on it.

Merci, Marc

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
molo said:
Hello All,

Can anyone tell by this photo what are the right fuses to use? I have one missing, and one isn't working (even though it noe of the remaining three look burned). Any insight would be appreciated

TIA,
Molo

If one of the screw-in fuse circuits doesn't work it may be that the main is blown. Pull out that main plug (the one on the left) and check each of the fuses with an Ohmmeter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks