Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
this was a real bummer.

l_0c51c012d0eca2f65cfb82d6a6e3e0dd.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it would be, not often do thoes guys get machines stuck, did it sink over night?

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
no, not overnight.

the crew was digging in an area know to be wet. the water table was high and the soil was sandy. this is a 30 metric ton class machine. the excavator tracked over this ground twice. the weight and the vibration turned the ground to jello. you could stand twenty feet away from your buddy and make him move like you were both on a trampoline.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How long did it take to get it out and how many machines

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
we got stuck in the evening. i made several trips to the job site throughout the night to see if we were sinking, it did not sink unless there was movement.

we started at five in the morning. the first order was to hall in 100 yards of scoria. we pushed the scoria up to the edge of the hole so that we could get other equipment neat the stuck machine. we then use another excavator to dig a ramp out behind the stuck excavator. we then brought in a winch truck and anchored it to a D6 class crawler. the winch truck pulled the 80,000 lb excavator out without a grunt. this took up about nine hours to do. there was a lot of hand digging under the engine to get to the frame between the tracks. this was the only place we could hook onto without springing the machine.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With every thing spread out like that how far did they have to go to get the 100 yds. of scoria.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Years ago...

We heated by wood for years and on an uncle's farm we'd cut deadwood and he would move trees around to clear the land with a D4 straight blade.

To this day I'll never understand this but he was too cheap to buy new tracks, too cheap to buy rock guards.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many hours we worked on that dozer with all kinds of large cut timbers like blocks, spud bars, 30 ton hydraulic jacks, chain hoists, come alongs trying to get those wore out tracks back on. Kinda equates to the same downtime you was faced with. Unexpected and costly most times.

Countless weekends wasted working on it. He finally got new tracks and rock guards after everyone stopped visiting him because of his stubbornness. No one gains but him now.....and now he doesn't have a reason to do it anymore. No help. :confused:

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Well of course the Japanese Komat'su sank, the Caterpillar's always install water wings on their tracked hoes...

Having said that, nice equipment, I have a D6 cat from 1935, all I could afford. (hand crank pony motor)

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
I have a couple John Deere's around that size, so I feel your pain. First thought is what in the hell are you doing with all that iron out in a cornfield? Is there a Wal mart on one side of that photo we missed? Digging missile silo's? Running an oil pipe line to Canada?

If you were the operator,never mind this comment, but the guy running the machine probably tracked and pushed and poked around a bit much, busted the crust, and then came liqufaction, so to speak, where all is lost. Whenever I get to the idlers I shut it down and take a few days off for things to dry off and plan an escape.

Great photos that might save a guy some pain in the future. You should post on the excavation forum which is like this one.

Better check your turntable grease housing for muck inside.

Last edited:

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
now don't get to down on komatsu. i think they might be korean, but i am not sure. they were tough machines. we put in 1,000,000 feet of pipe last year with those machines and i would take that komatsu excavator every time. the crawlers, i suppose a cat is better but the cost is high.

as far as breaking through the crust. i was not the operator. i had a call from the operator saying it sure was wet. three minutes later i had a call saying he was stuck. this stuff turned to quicksand and it was over.

i think the only other way we would have gotten this out was to wait four months and walk it on the frost.

i figured this cost us about $15,000. the only damage to the machine was a few door panels, but still enough to total up to about $5OOO in body work.

we used over 120 yards of scoria to make a pad and base.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a spots that will sink if I’m not careful. I have tried dumping everything in this hole and by the next year it’s just as bad. When I get stuck I will drag 20 30’ telephone polls down and use them to lift my john deer up using the front end loader. Then use more polls to get a second front end loader in to the back and try to lift and dig the back out.

This year I have a pile of rock on the hole. I got 8 loads of 2’ to 4’ rock and pilled it up.

I love the truck that has the winch on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks