Toto makes high-pitched noise

Users who are viewing this thread

FieldHouse

Reaction score
We installed a Toto one-piece Ultimate Toilet #MS853113 with the Power Gravity flushing system in 2001. It has worked great until a few weeks ago, when it started making a high-pitched noise after flushing. It sounds like jet engines starting up, but the noise stops after water fills the tank. Any ideas how to fix this one? Thanks!

ms853113e-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could be two things.

1) Make sure the supply shutoff at the wall is wide open.

2) If that isn't it, it may need a new assembly cap, they sell for $1.99 at Lowes, and come with instructions on the back of the card.

Instructions

hunter_exploded.jpg
Servicing Instructions

A. Turn off water supply. Flush toilet. Remove refill tube and snap off cover (A)
B. Remove float by gently squeezing float arms inward. (B)
C. While holding valve with one hand, twist cap 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and remove. (C)
D. Lift out center tube. (D)
E. Use pliers to remove strainer from center tube. (E) Clean strainer and cap by rinsing under running water.
F. Re-assemble valve by reversing the above procedure. Note: If the main valve is worn out, (look inside cap), cleaning will not suffice, and a Replacement Cap Assembly, Hunter P/N R528 will be required.
Note: If the fill valve turns on and off by itself, or runs continuously without spilling into the overflow tube, the problem is not the valve. The fill valve is running due to a slow leak in the tank, probably caused by a flapper. Either worn out or misaligned.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
FieldHouse said:
We installed a Toto one-piece Ultimate Toilet #MS853113 with the Power Gravity flushing system in 2001. It has worked great until a few weeks ago, when it started making a high-pitched noise after flushing. It sounds like jet engines starting up, but the noise stops after water fills the tank. Any ideas how to fix this one? Thanks!

Sediment buildup in the fill...maybe.
Try removing the 7/8" compression nut under the tank and allowing it to drain into a small bucket - might help IF the sediment isn't packed.

FieldHouse

Reaction score
Toto sounds like a dream again!

Finally got a plumber to fix it, since we found out the supply shutoff valve needed to be replaced, too. Got a new angle valve and ballcock. Works great now. Still the best toilet brand around.

mshandywoman

Reaction score
Toto toilet noise

I contacted Toto because my Drake (about 5 yrs. old) is making a loud, chattering noise when it fills. They emailed instructions (same as you have on the site) for cleaning the fill valve. I went through the procedure twice and it made no difference. The supply line actually vibrates during the fill process and makes a lot of racket! They didn't say anything about replacing parts so I'll phone them again.

I'm disappointed because, up to now, Toto has been the best.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shutoff valve at the wall is not a 1/4-turn ball valve, it could just as well be it, and nothing in the toilet. On an older valve, the washer can cause weird noises.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may want to try replacing the fill valve. If the new one makes noise then you may have a bad shutoff / angle stop or you may have a bad PRV and high water pressure but I think a new fill valve will cure the problem.

mshandywoman

Reaction score
Toto toilet noise

Thx for all your suggestions. The plumbing store where I bought my two Totos suggested replacing the entire fill valve and said that's common with "older" Totos. In fact, the first question the parts guy asked was "Is your toilet about 5 years old?"

I bought just a replacement fill valve cap as a first step and will try that today. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the entire fill valve. Calls and an email to Toto yesterday went unanswered ...

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Assembly cap, sold at Lowes for $1.99 fixes the problem.
It takes about 30 seconds without tools to replace.
The answer to your problem was already posted above with instructions and pictures.
I'm sure any handy person can do this in less than a minute.
I often show customers how to do this on their toilet before I leave the house. Then they can see how easy it is.

www.terylove.com/hunter.htm

Last edited:

mshandywoman

Reaction score
Toto toilet noise

Terry -
Thanks for your note. I did read your posting but decided to ask the plumbing store where I bought the toilet. They suggested buying an entire new valve; I told them about the advice on your web site so I paid $3 for the cap (cheaper than having to drive to my nearest Lowe's) and came home.

I replaced the cap this evening - in less than a minute - and discovered the orange ring/diaphragm was missing (eaten away?) from my old one. This seems to have solved the problem. No more noise. Hooray!

BTW, the tech (Raul Dan) I have been dealing with at Toto has been extremely helpful in getting info to me, too.

debcovey

Reaction score
Thank you!

It could be two things.

1) Make sure the supply shutoff at the wall is open.

2) If that isn't it, it may need a new assembly cap, they sell for $1.99 at Lowes, and come with instructions on the back of the card.

Instructions

hunter_exploded.jpg
Servicing Instructions

A. Turn off water supply. Flush toilet. Remove refill tube and snap off cover (A)
B. Remove float by gently squeezing float arms inward. (B)
C. While holding valve with one hand, twist cap 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and remove. (C)
D. Lift out center tube. (D)
E. Use pliers to remove strainer from center tube. (E) Clean strainer and cap by rinsing under running water.
F. Re-assemble valve by reversing the above procedure. Note: If the main valve is worn out, (look inside cap), cleaning will not suffice, and a Replacement Cap Assembly, Hunter P/N R528 will be required.
Note: If the fill valve turns on and off by itself, or runs continuously without spilling into the overflow tube, the problem is not the valve. The fill valve is running due to a slow leak in the tank, probably caused by a flapper. Either worn out or misaligned.

I followed service instructions replacing no parts and worked perfectly!! no more noise. thanks so much.

Providence

Reaction score
The Assembly cap, sold at Lowes for $1.99 fixes the problem.
It takes about 30 seconds without tools to replace.
The answer to your problem was already posted above with instructions and pictures.
I'm sure any handy person can do this in less than a minute.
I often show customers how to do this on their toilet before I leave the house. Then they can see how easy it is.

www.terylove.com/hunter.htm

My assembly cap was making a "hissing" noise so I replaced it. But after replacing it, just as the water level get to the shut off point it begins making a loud "stuttering" type of noise as the water tries to shut off. Eventually it shuts off completely after about 10 seconds or so. I've taken the cap out to confirm it was seated correctly and I've removed the center tube for cleaning but nothing has really made an impact. Any ideas?

Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My assembly cap was making a "hissing" noise so I replaced it. But after replacing it, just as the water level get to the shut off point it begins making a loud "stuttering" type of noise as the water tries to shut off. Eventually it shuts off completely after about 10 seconds or so. I've taken the cap out to confirm it was seated correctly and I've removed the center tube for cleaning but nothing has really made an impact. Any ideas?

Thanks

Make sure you are clipping the float back in correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks