Caulking around the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

fcduke

Reaction score
I just installed a new shower complete with tile floor and it looks beautiful. Is it necessary to caulk the perimeter of the shower floor where it abuts the wall or is a good grouting job sufficient. I'd hate to ruin the nice looking grout with caulk if I don't have to. Also, should I caulk the corners of the wall or is the grout good enough. Thanks, Frank

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
did you seal it with a good quality grout sealer?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the whole job was done right and no corners cut every thing is solid and you keep the area clean and dry between uses, and maintain the grout by cleaning and resealing when necessary I wouldn't caulk.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Tile Council of America (TCA) is the basis of the codes on shower installation for most of the country. They say do not grout the changes of plane in a shower (i.e., the corners and the wall/floor interface). Instead, use caulk. This is because few showers will be expanding and contracting the same between those corners, and the grout will likely crack. If your shower was built very carefully, you might get by with that and not have it crack, but that is actaully rare. If you've already grouted them, leave it alone and see. If it does crack, then you'll need to remove the grout, and replace with caulk. Caulk over grout never works for long, and usually looks lousy. You can buy caulk color matched sanded or unsanded grout for nearly any color grout; you may have to special order it, or get it on-line, but it is out there.

fcduke

Reaction score
Thanks, The tile store sold me the color matching caulk, but I'll wait and see how the grout holds up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks