Hot water heater trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

needsomefun283

Reaction score
I have a kenmore 50 gal water heater which 4-5 years old. I have to keep resetting the red button on the upper t-stat. I assume that is the high temp shut off system resetting. I was getting very hot water then no hot water at all. Is this as simple as an element or t-stat? I would like to do this myself and save money on a plumber if possible. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It could be 1 or the other or both or a combination at this point.

Replace or have replaced both elements and both thermostats and you should be good to go for the rest of the life of the heater, unless it is full of mineral deposits.

Do you live in a hard water area?

needsomefun283

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have hard water and have ordered new elements. My local hardware stores don't carry these parts so I have to wait and try it when they come in. Thanks Again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

It is probably a bad lower element. But, it could also be a loose wire on the upper thermostat, a fused upper thermostat caused by the lower element burning out, or several other posibilities. Only a complete testing of the components can tell where the problem is.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
This is the amateur way to do a quick test of your elements.
Turn OFF the breaker to the water heater and disconnect the wires to the elements. Test the two screws with an ohm meter. No resistance, replace it.
If it's a t-stat. Replace both by getting a good look (or sketch) of the exact layout and number of screws on your tstats. Go to the store and get duplicates (does not have to be same brand).
Exchange the wires from the old to the new tsats ONE AT A TIME. Easy. Can't go wrong.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks