Screw vs. Backstab Receptacles

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Is one method better than the other? Backstab seems like it would be quicker, but is it better? I am replacing the receptacles in a couple of rooms. I bought 15amp receptacles with ground. The receptacles that are there are 2-hole. The boxes are metal and the ground wire is attached to the box.

TIA,
Molo

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have always heard it is better to use the screw connections. The clips in the others can become weak and leave loose connections ... such as when my window air conditioner quit last year. The spring tab had allowed the wire to somehow actually come all the way out of place, and that surely could have been a fire in the making.

Wet Willy

Reaction score
I used the backstab in my parents cabin and was hit by lighting and blasted all of the wires right out of the sockets do not use them at all. Just like Lee said it is a fire just waiting to happen.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The so called back stab devices are UL approved, for 14 guage wire only. They do have a history that over time, the fairly flimsy mechanical spring connection to the wire can get loose, causing problems. I do not use them around my house. You will typically find that building contractors use them the time because they are much less costly and much faster to put in.

I always prefer the type where a wire inserts straight into an opening on the back, and when you tighten the screw, it clamps the wire. Very fast and very secure.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score

KD

Reaction score
The resolution is to use the screws only.

Molo

Reaction score
Based on reading the EXTENSIVE threads that the links lead to, It appears that it is a matter of correct procedure regardless of the method. I will go with the screws, I do wonder if these should be applied with a torque wrench?

Molo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I have read here and lots of other forums on the internet the disdain of electricians for backstab, and yet they continue to be the device-of-choice in new construction. See it all the time.

I just have one more comment.....PUTTY OR SILICONE?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
jimbo said:
and yet they continue to be the device-of-choice in new construction. See it all the time.
I ONLY see it in tract homes and mods. If a real electrician has to cut this very short corner to make ends meet he needs to find other ways to save money.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The very worse combination I have come across is outlets back stabbed with aluminum wire.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
molo said:
The receptacles that are there are 2-hole. The boxes are metal and the ground wire is attached to the box.

TIA,
Molo

Come on SLACKERS!!!

The more important issue is???? Are those metal boxes grounded? If not, that ground wire aint doin much.

If you are going from 2 prong to 3 prong with no ground available you must use GFCI protection.

The theory is that someone will assume they are grounded (by looking at the 3 prong configuation) and get hurt (by means of a faulty tool etc.) as a result.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Alectrician....your not doing your home work.....read the first post that has all pertinent info of the question.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Cass - he clearly read the original post, he even quoted it - but the "ground wire" could mean "ground wire between the receptacle and the box" - it's not clear in the OP.

And even if Molo meant the ground wire coming from the panel; if it's old work, he should check to make sure it's actually grounded. Wouldn't be the first time a green wire didn't actually connect to anything.

There was, however, no reason to call everyone slackers... :)

Molo

Reaction score
More info

The ground is coming from the box. I would like to make sure it is grounded, how can I do this? Also, my original thought is that replacing the 12 outlets with new ones was a job I could do myself. I see that there are concerns when doing a project like this, and that is why I originally posted. Do you pros think this is a project I should DIY?

TIA,
Molo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks