PVC P-trap to Metal drain pipe??

Users who are viewing this thread

Bellacielo

Reaction score
I have a mid-1970s home where we have totally renovated the kitchen. The plumber cut off the drain pipe and water supply valves and capped them off leaving them without threads for easy cabinet installation. After 3 months without a kitchen sink, I decided to tackle the problem myself.

I bought all PVC pieces and have connected the disposal and other drain to the P-Trap without a hitch. My problem is that the marvel connector which is supposed to fit 1-1/2" pipes works fine for the PVC portion, but it is too big on the end that connects to the metal drain pipe coming out of the wall.

The O.D. for the metal pipe is 1-5/8" , so the PVC extension compression pipe (for 1-1/2" pipes) won't fit both of them either. Is there a such a thing as a compression connector for this case and measurements or will it HAVE to be sweated/threaded (I don't have the tools for that.)??

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
1-1/2" copper - sweat a scully adaptor and put a female PVC adapter on it - USE DOPE...then glue away.
If it's steel, try to see if it ties into cast iron inside the wall, if so it's likey threaded in and can be turned loose. It WILL be a tight fit...pipe wrenches are a good idea and will likely need a "cheat bar", a large diameter pipe (steel) that can fit over the pipe wrench, for leverage. Once out, you can use a male threaded adaptor from the cast iron tapped tee in the wall.
IF it's steel and the above mentioned isn't an option, last resort, mission clamp (they're ugly, but they do the trick when all else fails).
If your plumber has blown you off for 3 months...shame on him!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is copper coming out of the wall you can use a SS banded coupling that is specifically made to transition from copper to PVC.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
hj said:
lf it is 1 1/2" a brass male Marvel connector will solder onto it and then the trap will slide into it.

OK...I was gonna ask, but thats my answer...we call them "Scully bushings" here.
I was thinking of this topic today...used one to adapt a lav/vanity replace to the old 1-1/2" copper stub.
I like them better than mission/no hub clamps (SS banded coupling, Cass..? terminology differs state to state), because they look much neater, the transition from copper to PVC is less bulky, no nuts,clamps or extrusions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks